98 install probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
im installing 98 on a old pentium 166 w/mmx and after the first part of the installation, it comes up with the second part, there is a illegal operation, and a bsod and i cant seem to get around it?
wayne

Why... why!!!!

*dies*

Your disc has probably been scratched or has become dirty. Take a cloth (100% COTTON ONLY) and get it mildly wet with water, and wipe it down. Make sure you get it completely dry afterwards.

Then try again, if it fails, well then you've got one less 98 system in the house.

mdshort said:
Why... why!!!!

Your disc has probably been scratched or has become dirty. Take a cloth (100% COTTON ONLY) and get it mildly wet with water, and wipe it down. Make sure you get it completely dry afterwards.

Then try again, if it fails, well then you've got one less 98 system in the house.

If that dosn't do it, put some toothpaste (works as a polish) on the wet cloth. rinse, dry.

Or you could try burning a copy. I've had cd's that were messed up pretty bad and burned a copy and the copy worked where the orginal cd didn't.

"PhPDVDCDXP2000..."

heavywx said:
Or you could try burning a copy. I've had cd's that were messed up pretty bad and burned a copy and the copy worked where the orginal cd didn't.
Unless the BOOT area of the CD is scratched ofcorse. I've tried the same thing with all my CDs and that didn't work vary well... Hmm. Just try burning them first. (If you have an RW.) :cool:

waynejkruse10 said:
im installing 98 on a old pentium 166 w/mmx and after the first part of the installation, it comes up with the second part, there is a illegal operation, and a bsod and i cant seem to get around it?
wayne

do you mean after it reboots the first time, give more details

itb starts the gui setup and starts copying files. it finishes and restarts as normal, take out the cd (normal) and it continues the setup from the files it copied (normal) then it had a bsod or a illegal operation and freezes (not normal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom