virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

scroudt

In Runtime
hey guys,
my virtual memory was set at 2046 mb.....I have a total memory if 4092 mb.....is it ok to set my virtual memory to match my physical memory? Could I harm anything from doing this?
thanks

There will be no harm in doing so, but probably no benefit either.

to be honest, you dont need that much virtual memory anyways, i have 6144mb total memory, and have no virtual memory whatsoever and ive never experienced a single slowdown as a result of lack of memory, and i rarely go over 3GB even when intensively gaming.

there are disadvantages to doing this actually....more virtual ram means more fragmentation of your HDD since the pagefile is accessed at random... if you're on vista it shouldnt be a problem, if you're on XP make sure you defrag regularly...

I would go ahead and match it anyway, you'll probably see some sort of boost. Then again, I make a separate partition specifically for my VM, so...lol.

I always match it regardless, it suits me well.

I have no virtual memory. Your hard drive is infinitely slower than your ram and the stupid OS will use virtual ram even when you have real ram free. Why give it the chance?

ok, so with all the feedback that I'm getting, I'm going to put my virtual memory at zero....seems like it makes more sense, and sounds like my machine will run better without any virtual memory...thanks

I would suggest that you set it to 1024....If you have 4 gigs of ram you wont need much page filing but if you set it to 0 you may get random crashes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom