CD-Rom problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongb18c

In Runtime
I'm putting together a simple comp for my mom, but the CD-Rom drive won't show up. It's 'seen' by the computer in bios and device manager, however in device manager there's an error saying something is wrong with the driver. This cd drive was given to me by a friend, it's a samsung....
When I go to update driver, windows says it can not find any drivers that's more up to date than the one I have already installed.

My question is does this sound like a hardware failure or a software failure? Could there be a problem with the cd rom drive it self, motherboard or anything to that extent? Or is this a strictly driver problem? And why isn't windows recognizing it.

I can't really do anything without a CD-Rom since everything is on CD.
Also I've gone to samsung's website and downloaded what is suppose to be the driver for that specific CD drive.... and it still shows up as error in the device manager.... very frustrating.

Is the IDE cable damaged?

Is it put in back words because:

A: the cable is an older one that is not keyed?

B: the drive is old and you are supposed to have the “power-line” side of the cable facing away from the “powered-side” of the drive?

"Drivers for Driver..."

Try taking the CDROM out, and reading the name and the version of it, then look for the drivers for it at:

www.driverzone.com
www.windrivers.com
Another thing you might want to do is to check your hardware profiles. (Start Menu/Control Panels/System- Look in the Device manager tab.) Check to see if there's anything wrong with the CDROM, or if there's anything in there that says "Unknown device". And if there is, Dellete it.:cool:

If your BIOS sees it but windows doesn't, check your device manager. It may be a corrupted driver. Either remove the driver from the device manager or through the add/remove hardware. Reboot and windows will reinstall a fresh set of drivers for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom