SATA vs IDE

Status
Not open for further replies.
DoomUK said:
Don't quote me here, but I've heard that current so-called "SATA" drives aren't really true SATA- they just use the SATA connection and aren't actually as fast as they're supposed to be... But like I say don't quote me on that :confused:

Yea, I've heard this too, but don't remember where. Thats what made me decide to go ahead and get ATA-133, because its a little cheaper and I get more storage. Plus, I don't really care as much about load times in games as I do a smooth FPS, which I was trying to achieve with my X800 Pro. If you get SATA, get a fast 10,000RPM version, because with the 7,200 you won't notice much difference between it and ATA-133.

It's just that a hardware guru friend of mine told me something about SATA HD's... Likewise, I'm going do do my homework on that one... I'll get back to you...:)

There are a few things to consider with sata, the cables are much smaller than the ide ribon cables, less room in your tower taken up by cables. And you have to think to the future, sata is going to take over ide, and more and more mobos have built in sata, soo, it will only be sata. Now you have a drive already compatable with future tech. They are not much more expensive than ide.

ATA to SATA is not the same as upgrading from AGP x4 to x8, it is definitely not the same percentage increase. But if you have a very simple choice, then choose SATA; it is ~12MB quicker.

It is not worth upgrading a motherboard for though :)

u should ignore 'AND_YOU_ARE's post. EIDE is going to be around fora long long time, and there is prolly still enough space to fit a bowling ball in your case even after all the components are puttogether. <--exageration, i know, but u get what i mean.

Ive been searching around and SATA seems to be the better choice for me. I think im going to get a Pimped out Western Digital 74gb 10,000 RPM Raptor Drive:D Because I NEED speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom