Did I fry the computer after a ram upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidhouse

Beta member
My 2000 Gateway was starting to run slow. I decided to upgrade the ram to see if that would give it some boost. I was sold the wrong kind of ram. It didn't quite fit into the slot. Since it was so similar it took me a bit to realize this. I booted the computer up and it was totally blank. I put everything back as it was and I rebooted the computer. Same result. My first thought was that I crashed the hard drive. I have another computer that has an issue with the resetstkoflw but I decided to swap the hard drive. Of course it didn't work but it did start to come up before it went blank. I am very new to working on computers and I have no idea what I did or how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Well if you had forced the RAM into the slots it is most likely that you damaged the mother board and there will be no way to fix it.

I honestly didn't think it was forced but it certainly could have been. It fit into the slot but I realized later it wasn't fully in. I placed it in one of the extra memory slots. Would the whole motherboard be damaged from damage to an unused memory slot? Assuming that I have destroyed the motherboard, what are my options? Thanks again for your help.

I honestly didn't think it was forced but it certainly could have been. It fit into the slot but I realized later it wasn't fully in. I placed it in one of the extra memory slots. Would the whole motherboard be damaged from damage to an unused memory slot? Assuming that I have destroyed the motherboard, what are my options? Thanks again for your help.

Buy a new build, or, replace the motherboard if you can find it.

If everything is back how it was before and it is still not working then it is safe to assume some damage has been done to the hardware, maybe the RAM but more likely the motherboard. Tell us the model you have.

If you couldnt just give it a little push, like enough to close a cardboard box, then it was forced in. It doesnt take much to snap a RAM chip into place. All it takes is just a very small push to put it in place.

So if you had to give it more than that, yes it was forced in. Which destroyed the slot and more than likely killed the mobo.

Yes damaging a RAM slot, even if previously unused, will take out a mobo.

Your options are few. Either Recycle the PC or trash it. Being a 8-9 year old PC there isnt going to be any chance to fix it.

If I'm correct this MB has rdram (RAMBUS)which must be installed in pairs and all banks filled, either with 2 memory sticks and 2 blanks or 2 pairs of memory to run.
Also need to check MB spec.to find out which banks they need to be installed in.
hopes this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom