Core i7 build not booting with all RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesspren6

In Runtime
Just built my core i7 rig with carnageX helping me along the way. We had some initial problems with it from trying to install Windows 7, or boot off of a DVD period. Narrowed it down to somehow being a RAM issue. Removed all RAM sticks except 2GB in slot 1 (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5; 1 is proper slot according to manual).

Install went fine that way. Even after install, the computer refuses to boot into Windows with all of the RAM in (slots 1, 3, 5). Tried with it in just slot 1, and it boots up fine. Tried several different configs (as well as 0, 2, 4), and all do not boot to Windows, it just ends up in a continuous reboot loop. The only way it seems to work is when the RAM sticks are in the following slots: 1, 2, and 4. Tested each stick in slot 1 tomake sure it wasn't a RAM problem, and all work fine that way.

The board POSTS fine no matter what. Always recognizes all the RAM during POST, it just refuses to boot to HDD, including when the HDD is selected from the Boot Selection menu. HDD is set to boot first as well.

Anybody got any ideas, or am I going to have to contact EVGA on this one for a possible replacement since its literally a brand new board. Thanks in advance.

Specs are:

i7 920
EVGA x58 3x SLI board
G.SKill DDR3-1600 Pi's.
Corsair 750tx
Windows 7 64bit

Edit: Just checked in my System Properties, and it says this for the RAM:
6.00GB (1.99GB Usable).

Opened task manager, and its only showing 2GB usable as well...could the slots possibly be bad?

Do you have the newest version of bios installed?
It could be either a failing memory controller on the cpu itself or a bad motherboard since the memory tests fine. I would look into getting a RMA on the board and cpu.

Just posting to confirm that I was helping him with the build and was helping troubleshoot at his house.

Definitely check for a BIOS update, as Hefe said. Also check for driver updates.

If you had another i7 rig somewhere so you could test out the RAM it would be sweet. That way you would know if it was good or not. I guess swapping each module out in the slot that works would test it, though.

Testing the hard drive would be super simple as I know you have another computer around. :D

Yeah, I would RMA the board for sure, maybe the RAM if it didn't test good.

I did a chipset drivers update and I tested each RAM stick individually in the DIMM 1 slot and it boots up everytime, so the Ram is good.

I would go for bad RAM slots on the mobo. If all the RAM will run fine from slot one but not from any other slot then there is a issue there.

Is there a option in the BIOS to run in Triple Channel that is not on? Maybe that is it as well. Maybe it is not set to run in Triple Channel.

All of the ram works, only only if I put in one stick in tho. I did a bios update and it is still doing the same. I looked through the settings in the bios and there isn't any tri-channel settings so im guessing they are auto.

Yeah that is what i was getting at. If the RAM works but only 1 stick at a time there would have to be a issue with the other RAM slots. Could be a short, could be a bad solder joint or something that is not allowing the other RAM slots to operate correctly.

A RMA might be the best order of business.

I just checked the evga motherboard compatibility at the link EVGA | Support | Motherboard Support and it doesn't list my ram model number as compatible, could that be the reason? Which I read some review on newegg of the ram I bought and ppl said it worked great and they listed the same board used in their comment too.

Edit: Should I RMA the board or should I return the RAM and get this: Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory or both?

That is really up to you. It depends on which course of action you think will allow you to get your system up and running in the quickest possible manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom