Decent OS/Programs Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedman3d

Fully Optimized
I want something i can brag about.

My budget is $200 USD ($300 AUD) and i can buy from Amazon, NCIXUS etc (NewEgg as well but i would be paying sales tax as its getting sent to CAL first then international...)

Was leaning towards a 150GB Velociraptor or an SSD. Ive just been hearing that a lot of the SSD's freeze up for a second to 10 seconds randomly and that's pretty unacceptable for something im spending that much on.

Maybe a OCZ Vertex SSD??

Any help would be appreciated.

I dunno about the Raptors, I would only get those if you were throwing them in RAID. Check out some SSDs.

I think ive found what im getting:

Amazon.com: OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTX60G 60GB SATA 2 Vertex Series Solid State Drive (Black): Electronics

$199 usd. 60GB OCZ Vertex:

Sequential Access - Read: Upto 200MB/sec
Sequential Access - Write: Upto 160MB/sec
Inbuilt Cache: 64MB Flash
and doesnt use the cheap Jmicron controller!

And i havent heard any stuttering issues...

What does everyone think? Worth it over a stock standard $70 HDD??
The new Vertex 2's are comming out but they need SATA3 because theyre around 550MB/sec read speed and will most likely cost an arm and a leg and another arm.

I personally think you could get pretty close to the same performance with 2x1TB drives in raid for the same price. You have alot of extra room, but then again you might not want to use it with the added risk that comes with raid 0.

OCZ i think are the performance leader in SSDs at the moment if i remember correctly, so your looking in the right direction.

I personally think you could get pretty close to the same performance with 2x1TB drives in raid for the same price. You have alot of extra room, but then again you might not want to use it with the added risk that comes with raid 0.

OCZ i think are the performance leader in SSDs at the moment if i remember correctly, so your looking in the right direction.

Yeah your right i wouldnt want 1000GB of space in raid 0. What i WAS thinking though was like buying 3 more cheap 250GB seagates (i have one spare now) and raid'ing them. Would save me $100 AUD too.

Im just so confused by all the choices and need some more opinions.

Thanks. Im going with 2x 30GB Vertex drives in Raid 0 if NewEgg holds onto the promo deal which makes them $100 each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom