Need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris42

Beta member
Right, I've never made a computer before and i need help on the drivers. I also need to know if i need extra cables for anything else.It's buggin' the **** out of me because i don't know if it will work once i get it an put it all together.I haven't bought it yet as i would like to be able to have everything ready once i get it.

OS
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

CD driver( someone tell me if it will work for installing games and other stuff like that)
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Harddrive
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

RAM
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

PSU
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply - Power Supplies

GPU
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Mobo
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Case
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Monitor
Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors

First off, don't get the Q6600, it's old, dated, and the new ones overclock like crap. I'd personally get an E8400, will overclock like a beast and get you more bang for buck in gaming. Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

That 260 only has 192 processing cores, get a core 216 instead. Here's an awesome deal on an XFX card, they make some great stuff. It will also get you a bigger HDD with a higher cache so it will be faster for 30 bucks off:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

You also don't need that high of a PSU unless you are planning to grab a second 260 later on. If that's the case, get this one: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

If you are just going to run the one card, this one should be ok: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies Though you could bump it up to this one for not a lot more money: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

EDIT: Also, I think you would do better with this set of RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

It's DDR2 800, but it's awesome overclocking RAM. You won't see much of an improvement going to the 1066, so that kit will save you a few bucks and end up being better for you.

Right,
I do not want to overclock.If those choices were made based on overclocking then that's not what i was looking for.
Although i do appreciate it if the parts you recommend are better than the ones i picked out.

Ill need help with the drivers and cables though as i stated.

And the psu is a $60 off deal with the case unless you knew that already.
It would help if the parts you recommend were cheaper or equal priced though as i really don't want to increase the price.

The video card and hard drive combo I suggest makes it cheaper. You will have more space, the HDD will be faster, and you will have a better video card.

The RAM I suggested is just as fast as yours but cheaper.

The 450w or 650w would still be cheaper than that Cooler Master PSU even with the discount.

The CPU I picked is 30 bucks cheaper.

Basically everything I picked for you is cheaper except for the 750w PSU...which after rebate, turns out to be cheaper. So not only will it overclock better if you ever want to, but it's all making it cheaper.

Drivers will come with the motherboard. The GPU, just go to nvidia's site to download the driver. That's really about it for drivers.

Cables, your mobo will come with a sata cable or two, just check the contents. The PSU you pick out should have the SATA power cables, so you'll be set on those, as well as the GPU power cables.

EDIT: It comes with 3 SATA cables, more than enough for you.

Well if he doesn't overclock then he could stick with the Q6600. But if it's for pure gaming then the E8400 would be better.

Grab that deal for the 260 and the hdd, thats a good price for both. You'll be happier with the 216 core version, and XFX has lifetime warranty.

You should also grab that Corsair 750 instead. Single 12v rail makes it better, and it's $60 cheaper.

Well, the PSU he picked his 60 bucks off with the combo deal, but the 750w corsair is 90 bucks after MIR, so 70 bucks lower. Better deal. :p

Well if he doesn't overclock then he could stick with the Q6600. But if it's for pure gaming then the E8400 would be better.

Im getting that deal with the gpu and hdd,the ram and the 650w psu.
Will the E8400 be better for gaming than the q6600 without overclocking?Cause' gaming's what im going for with this build.
Also could you please explain the drivers? Are they all gonna come with the motherboard and GPU and then i can download the latest drivers on the internet after i get it running,or is the thing not going to start?

Like I said, the motherboard comes with a driver disk. All the drivers on the motherboard will be there. The video card will work without a driver, so when you get the ethernet driver install, you can just go to nvidia's website and download the latest one. Windows update may pick up a few updated drivers as well.

As for the E8400, it will be better for gaming, because most games don't utilize more than 2 cores, and the E8400 is clocked higher than the Q6600 at stock.

As an FYI, I know you aren't planning to overclock, but you could boost your E8400 pretty easily up to something small, like 3.6ghz, and have no problems whatsoever. If you ever get interested in it, just ask questions in the overclocking thread, or read through some posts. You can milk some extra performance out of it for gaming that way. It's up to you.

Yeah, that's fine. You can really do it anytime. Your chip isn't going to get any less better at overclocking the longer you do it. :p

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom