want to take my Q6600 up to 3 mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewjustforyou

In Runtime
want to take my Q6600 up to 3 ghz

is there any simple way to do this? im completely new to OCing, but I just got a gtx260 and i'd like just a little more processing power to keep up with it (its running stock) when I went into my bios though, it didnt offer any performance options (couldnt even change the RAM timing)

am I going to be able to step my processor speed up at all with the mobo I am using?

and any hints?

im omw to class right now, but I will be checking back in on this constantly, as Im really interested in getting just that little bit more out of my pc

what mother board do you have? is your system prebuilt if so what brand? also you said mhz, when cpu's are clocked in ghz, lol 3ghz is equivelant to 3000mhz. so you wont be going up if you wana clock 3 mhz :p

also before we recomend any over clocking you should always make sure you have the proper coolign ie after market hsf, we usualy recomend, the core contact freezer, so get back to us on what cooler you have as well.

You can still OC on the stock cooler if you make sure your temps can't fry eggs. The mobo is the determining factor though.

its a Gateway machine, got it about a year ago, I dont have the specs on hand, and the stock fan is quite powerful on its own. I dont want to suicide run anything, and my ram is ddr2 600, so the fastest I could probably take it is 2.8 ghz? that shouldnt heat up much, should it? right now it runs pretty darn cool, but I'm never against adding anything, especially to boost performance, though I would like to stay away from hardcore aftermarketing (no water cooling, but im not adverse to adding a fan, heatsink, or some of that arctic putty)

but I think the limiting factor of my doing this is the motherboard, I will get all that info for you guys around 7 p.m. westcoast time. Thanks for the advice so far.

Probably no need to get us the mobo info, it's a Gateway. I've never seen a gateway that allows you to overclock. The RAM is also a limiting factor too. You're probably stuck with a stock Q6600.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom