Using front microphone jack when a sound card is installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
My speakers are plugged into the sound card in the back, and I am able to plug my headphones into this little audio controller I have out front if I want to use that. The mic part of the cord can't reach the back, so I have to use the front. Is there a way to get the front ports working using the soundcard drivers, or do I have to enable the onboard sound drivers, then running two sets of sound drivers. When I do this, will my sound card drivers be the ones dominating? I don't want my card to go to waste because of this.

What soundcard is it? I know my audio drivers allow me to enable/disable the front audio ports.

It depends on where your front audio ports are plugged into though, if they're plugged into the motherboard then I suppose the CPU would probably be doing the work, and if they're plugged into your sound card then the sound card will do the work.

Do you have the front panel connections into the card itself? Take a peek here.
Creative Worldwide Support

It used the hd audio connections not the AC97. the link shows you the pin assignments if you do not have a standard front panel connector.

plug in the front panel connectors to the sound card's front panel connection
labeled here

29-102-006-04.jpg

thanks newegg for picture

plug in the front panel connectors to the sound card's front panel connection
labeled here

29-102-006-04.jpg

thanks newegg for picture

NICE! lol, I'm going to do that for mine also. I've always used the back on the card, but using the front panel connector might be nice for my headphone and mic.

Not to hijack, but how much processing power so-to-speak is required of the CPU (for sound) if one decides not to go with a soundcard? I am primarily only using headphones and thought I'd be okay with onboard sound.
-Pure

I plugged the HD audio cable into the front panel connector, but I still can't get my pc to detect my mic. When I plug the headphone part of the headset into the the front audio jack, I can hear what was coming from my speakers, but it still isn't detecting my mic. I don't have to plug anything into that SPDIF thing, do I?

Nvm, Vista and its silliness strikes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom