DVD Burners

Status
Not open for further replies.

willsko87

Daemon Poster
I was looking at prices for computer parts the other day and I saw that DVD Burners are already down to around AUS $150.
Then I saw that there was new 16X Dual Layer burners around AUS $200. What are the benefits of the dual layer ones and how much would the dual layer disks hold?

Should I spend the extra dough for the 16x dual layer?

Dual layer holds twice as much as single layer. Like almost 9 gigs. Enough for a DVD quality movie. Right now, single layer is good enough for me, but I do plan to get a dual layer in the future. I guess if I had the money and I were you, I would get a dual layer. Get a plextor brand drive.

If you can aford it, definitely go for the dual layer. They will still work nice on single until the price of the dual layer discs come down some.

no dual layer holds 8GB. in the states a NEC 3500A 4X+R double layer burner costs $78. What's that converted to AUS?

ekÆsine said:
no dual layer holds 8GB. in the states a NEC 3500A 4X+R double layer burner costs $78. What's that converted to AUS?
How much does a dual layer disc hold, if not 4.7gigsX2? I thought pressed DVDs held almost 9 gigs, what's the point of a dual layer burner, if you can't copy a single DVD?

ohGrFreak said:
How much does a dual layer disc hold, if not 4.7gigsX2? I thought pressed DVDs held almost 9 gigs, what's the point of a dual layer burner, if you can't copy a single DVD?

4.7gigsX2 aka DVD10 is 4.7GB on both sides of the disc which equals 9GB combined which is stupid. a dual layer (aka double layer, aka DVD9) holds 8.5GB which is only 8GB if you use the true binary definition of a kilobyte equals 1024 bytes. hard disk and optical disc storage manufacturers use the (metric?) rule that a kilobyte equals 1000 bytes, this is a way to make it seem it holds more than it actually does.

Most movies that you can currently rent at your local video store like BlockBusters are DVD9 (8GB). You CAN make an exact 1:1 copy of most movies with recordable 8GB double layer disc. check out :

http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

===================
heres technical info on sony double layer recording:

http://www.sonyburners.com/media/pdfs/Understanding_Double_Layer_DVD_Recording.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom