Upgrade, need help deciding if i should do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
Well i was going to step up my core 216, but im finding that it can handle everything at high, except crysis obviously with decent FPS, so im gonna skip that.

So i have a little bit of cash to throw around.

I'm thinking about getting this:

NCIX.com - Buy Patriot PE32GS25SSDR Warp 32GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD 1 Year MFR Warranty - PE32GS25SSDR In Canada.

and windows vista HP 64bit.

I might also get another 4gb of ram since now i would be able to utilize it (have 32bit os right now)

I would use the SSD for Vista only, maybe the odd game or app. I know it does not leave me much room to play with on the os drive but i have plenty of space.
So how is that ssd anyway? at that price it is hard to say no to. That sale ends today, but it was on sale last time as well, and ncix has a sale every other day so it will most likely be the same price, or lower in a few days again.

So...Thoughts?

Also, one dumb question. I have never dual booted. So would i have to reinstall drivers, ect. again for vista, or would it be fine since i installed them threw xp before?

I would read this anandtech article before buying a ssd.

AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ

It's kind of long (31 pages) but has a lot of good info amd could save you some problems down the line.

You will have to install everything in Vista just like you would if it was the first os you installed on the system.

Personaly I am a big fan of ssd's and think they are a moch better upgrade then most people give them credit for.

I wouldn't waste time or money on a 32G SSD just to upgrade Vista 64 on it.

If I was going to go SSD i'd want to utilize it with some games or some apps or something. 32g is just not much these days. I go with at least 160G to 250G.

I am not sure I would even bother with vista, when the next OS right around the corner

If I was going to go SSD i'd want to utilize it with some games or some apps or something. 32g is just not much these days. I go with at least 160G to 250G.

You can get a 160gig if you want to spend half a grand on it. Read the link Puddle posted, it tells you a lot. I wouldn't make an SSD decision without reading it.

well it is for vista is super fast, and i would install common games and apps on it. 32gb is more then enough for what i will be using it for. 20gb for the os max, and thena another 12gb of play space.

I am not sure I would even bother with vista, when the next OS right around the corner

Windows 7 is a good 2 years off before it will be used be any people other then the beta, and i would not buy it untill it has had a good update. Also, vista would replace xp, and then i could get windows seven and get rid of xp when the time comes...

also, i can't spend any more on the ssd then the one i listed, 120 is tha max for it.

i'll take a look at the article linked. But i think i will go threw this... it has a one year warranty, so if i have problems i will just return it.

EDIT: I just looked at some bad reviews for the drive, i don't think i will wast $100 on it... if you know of any other ssd's that are good that are about $100 let me know, no lower then 32gb though.

If i don't pick up the ssd i will definetly get vista and another 4gb of ram though. Might pick up a sound card instead of the ssd.

Windows 7 is a lot closer then two years, I would guess it will be released by the end of the year or early '10 at the latest.

Windows 7 is a good 2 years off before it will be used be any people other then the beta, and i would not buy it untill it has had a good update.

^Like i said, i did not say release.... i said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom