Transfer Data via USB...between 2 PCs ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark4man

Baseband Member
hello again...

1) I have an ADK Pro Audio DAW in my project studio that I use for digital audio recording, mixing, mastering, etc.

At the advice of ADK, I went out & got a dedicated office machine...used only for the internet & graphic apps.

I have been transferring data back & forth...(which is sometimes necessary)...by burning CDs/DVDs on one machine; & then moving the disc to the other.

But is there a way I can simply connect a USB cable between the two PCs & transfer data directly?

2) If this can be done...my only concern is that I utilize ONE Monitor...an LG L227WTG. The analog video input (VGA) on the monitor is connected to the office PC (a Compaq SR5610); & the digital video input (DVI) is connected to the audio PC. Normally, I turn off one PC before turning on the other; & then simply toggle the monitor's Source switch between analog & digital.

can I toggle this switch while both PCs are up-and-running without blowing up the monitor?

thanks very much,

mark4man

Are both computers on a network? Can you network them together to share files? That is going to be the easiest way to share files.

As for using one monitor, you should look into a KVM switch. You can run both PCs at the same time and then with the flip of a switch change between them.

If you are going to use the old "sneakernet" you should use a flash drive or two (thumb drives, jump drives, whatever you want to call them). You can get an 8 gig for less than $20 nowadays, and they can be used over and over.

thanks all...

If you are going to use the old "sneakernet" you should use a flash drive or two (thumb drives, jump drives, whatever you want to call them). You can get an 8 gig for less than $20 nowadays, and they can be used over and over.
not a bad idea...gotta be quicker than disc burning.

so...there's no such animal as a direct USB transfer between PCs...without a network, then?

thanks again,

mf

If the PC's don't have spare network ports, you can get PCI network cards dirt cheap.

Then all you need to do is use a crossover cable between them, give them both IP's, and share at least 1 folder on each PC with the stuff you want to transfer.

ethernet is far better than USB for connecting PC's together (USB wasn't designed for that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom