Is oil cooling realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to say that my bro got his oil tank CPU stabilized.

Unfortunately, half the innards of a CPU can't be in oil (ODD, HDD, Powersupply) but he's got the mobo in there and once he secured the heatsink properly it does stay cooler than it would out of oil. He played on it for about 10 hrs straight and it was sitting at 44ºC (I think) what is that in ºF? About 110ºF? My CPU on my workstation is currently running at 113ºF but of course I'm not doing anything process intensive.

Some power supes seem to be able to run submerged, but they also generate most of the heat (you can see plenty of little heat shimmers through the oil.

DSC03109.jpg

DSC03108.jpg

The bubbler also helps to cool the oil, plus it looks nifty. My bro also just replaced the fluorescent with blue LEDs.

Definitely not worth the hassle. It is neat and it cools well, but the way I tinker with my system, I would never consider using oil submerged build.

It almost borders on "gimicky" in my opinion. The gains in cooling over a water cooled system (or even a well designed air cooled system) is not worth the extra pains involved.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong... if that is what you want, it is cool. I don't want to knock anyone's systems. I just could never see myself going that route for a system :smile:

I think the oil came to about $7/gallon and we used.... 4.5 gallons (though he ordered 6 I think).

yeah, there are plenty of disadvantages, so idk, it is pretty cool though, especially now with all the blue LED's.

I think eventually we'll need a filter, cause see how on the close up it's a bit foggy? Yeah, it was crystal clear originally. I think most of that dust came from inside the power sup when we tried to have it submerged.

watching the bubbles flow through the fans is mezmerizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom