Tools/screws needed for build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infowarrior45

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I'm putting in an order at NewEgg tomorrow for my last batch of parts, so I thought I'd run my parts list by you to see if I'm missing anything.

Should I get some thermal compound for the i7 920?

Are there any special screws I need? From the HAF 932 case manual I read online, it looks like it's a tool free HDD installation, so I should be good there. It looks like it comes with screws for optical drives too (M3 screws). Anything else?

Any special/handy tools I need? Can I use a magnetic screwdriver?

Here are the parts I have/will have.

Core i7 920
EVGA x58 SLI
EVGA GTX 285 SC
OCZ Platinum RAM DDR3 1600 3x2GB
Corsair 750 watt PSU
CoolerMaster HAF 932
WD OEM Caviar Black 750GB x3
Samsung SH-S223Q OEM
Vista Ultimate 64bit OS
Internet Security Suite (undecided)

How does it look?

Thanks!
infowarrior45

I am currently in the process of gutting my new HAF in preparation for paint.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/spray-paint-haf-932-interior-203475/

The tools I have used so far to dismantle is a small allen wrench (to remove the top fan) and a screw driver. I recommend having both a flathead and a phillips head. Can't speak for other tools required for assembly as I am not at that step yet.
Also, are you sticking with the stock cpu cooler? From what I have read, if you want to OC, you should go with an aftermarket cooler. Personally, I would have bought an aftermarket cooler even if I wasnt going to OC. I picked up the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer(got high marks in reviews), which comes with TX-2 thermal paste. The TX-2 is supposed to be some of the best stuff currently available.
-Pure

Ya definitely get yourself a Sunbeam Core contact. The stock cooler is decent but its always nice to have an aftermarket cooler if you ever decide to overclock and it will just keep your 920 nice and cool so you never have to think about it.

I strongly recommend ESET Nod32 for your anti-virus. Had it for 2 years now and its awesome.

Other than that you won't need anything except a screwdriver.

You will love that computer. Enjoy! and let us know if you have any more questions

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. It looks like I can get a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer for $30 after the MIR at NewEgg.

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

I suppose I will need one of these to use it on a Core i7?

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Pinscher, do you have one of these on your EVGA x58? Just wondering if it fits well on there. I suppose it should fit fine in the CM HAF 932, right?

Thanks a lot!

infowarrior45

Those aren't necessary, all you have to do is touch something metal every now and then. Plus I think worries of static electricity is overrated. I've never had any problems or have heard of any hardware dying because of static.

Those aren't necessary, all you have to do is touch something metal every now and then. Plus I think worries of static electricity is overrated. I've never had any problems or have heard of any hardware dying because of static.

I agree, I usually don't even bother with it. I just keep a hand on the frame or touch it regularly. Plus, I have never fried anything... but, I think it is still technically a possibility.

They seem relatively new to this, so I figure it is good. The newer you are, the more you handle the parts as you try to figure it all out how it all goes together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom