New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Just let me mention thanks for all the previous help. I have been messing around with a couple of different builds. I thought I was going to go AMD to save money cause I'm on a tight budget, but my buddy told me to stay away and that Intel is a much better option even if it costs a little more. So I have a few questions. He recommended that I get either one of these:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Which of these is better for an all around gaming machine, and would it better to save a few bucks and stick with AMD? Which will last longer?

He also recommended that I don't skimp on the graphics card and try to get the nVidia Geforce GTX 260 is this a smart idea? I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it to put most of my money into the CPU, Mobo, and Graphics card, and maybe get less ram, and a decent, but not great PSU?

My budget is around $500 but I'm pretty sure I can get it to $700

Thanks

Well the Quad would be more future-proof, but the Duo would be better as many games don't support four cores let alone two, and two stronger cores would be better than four slightly weaker ones in your case. And you can always upgrade to Quad in a year or so if you want.
Better going for Intel than AMD right now (well that's my opinion anyway).

He also recommended that I don't skimp on the graphics card and try to get the nVidia Geforce GTX 260 is this a smart idea? I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth it to put most of my money into the CPU, Mobo, and Graphics card, and maybe get less ram, and a decent, but not great PSU?
GTX260 is good, make sure you get a 216-core one if you go for it.
A good PSU for you would be Corsair TX550 if you don't plan on multi-GPUing in the future, Corsair TX750 if you do. Though someone else might be able to recommend you a cheaper one that's just as good.
How much RAM are you planning to get? 2GB should probably do you for a while and it's not difficult to add more in the event you do want more.

Basically what you said about the processors is what he said. He originally recommended that I try to get an i7 processor but that just makes everything jump up in price. I'm shooting for 4GB's of ram, I can always get more later I guess. I have always been an eVGA man when it comes to graphics cards, are BFG or XFX any good?

Which of these is better for an all around gaming machine, and would it better to save a few bucks and stick with AMD? Which will last longer?
While I am sure your buddy is a decent friend and all, he is also a bit wrong. Intel currently has the faster of the two, but it is not necessarily a "better option" than AMD. Just like Ford and Chevy, they do the same thing.

For roughly the same money as the Q8200 you can get an AMD 920 quad core - Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
These are definitely not slouches. Neither are the AM2+ tri-cores

Or you could go for the AM3/DDR3 by grabbing a Phenom II X3. ;) Coupled with an AM3 board and 4GB of DDR3 RAM you will be screaming along.

The 260 is a good card, but the ATI alternatives are good, too.

I know that this all sounds fanboyist, but it's not. Intel does have the upper hand with speed, but AMD is still a very valid choice... especially in bang for your buck. The same goes for ATI's cards; they are just as fast, work just as good, and offer a better bang for your buck. Check the Graphic Card Ranking thread to see what lines up with what.
=================================================================

Your budget of 500 (possible 700)... what do you plan on salvaging from your current system? Monitor, keyboard, mouse, optical drive(s), hard drive(s), sound card, PSU, case?

I'm shooting for 4GB's of ram, I can always get more later I guess. I have always been an eVGA man when it comes to graphics cards, are BFG or XFX any good?

You're unlikely to use more than 4GB of RAM, but k.
Personally I like XFX because their art is black+green and looks cool :) Or more realistically, they have awesome warranties.

Also I agree with Trotter, AMD are better BFB.

While I am sure your buddy is a decent friend and all, he is also a bit wrong. Intel currently has the faster of the two, but it is not necessarily a "better option" than AMD. Just like Ford and Chevy, they do the same thing.Your budget of 500 (possible 700)... what do you plan on salvaging from your current system? Monitor, keyboard, mouse, optical drive(s), hard drive(s), sound card, PSU, case?

I guess the problem with my friend is he just bought a brand new system and he didn't cheap out. He went and got the Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops along with 12GB's of triple ram, an 1100 Watt PSU, a GTX 260 ect.... and I think hes trying to compare my future machine with his current machine. I would assume to him everything else looks like garbage. I mentioned AMD, which is what I have always used in the past, and have been pleased with the price and speed, but he gave me a big fat NO. So I was just wondering if there was anything to his claim and it doesn't sound like it. I'm not going for extreme speed, but I want to get the best bang for my buck as you said.

It seems to me, as in his case that buying the biggest and the baddest processor isn't always the smart thing to do. Its like a new car, yeah it looks pretty and it preforms well, but it doesn't mean that it does much more than your average "used car" or lower end processors in terms of playing current video games. I would think that there are better ways to spend the money.

I can salvage a Hard Drive, keyboard, mouse, monitor, optical drive, a case if I have too, and use onboard sound. But the rest I need.

Wow, your friend has 12Gb of ram? That's a waste, no one will ever use that much. And you can overclock a i7 920 easily to 965 speeds and have the same performance. Plus a 1100 watt psu for his setup is way overkill. AMD is just as good as Intel when it comes to budget builds.

This is a good setup for gaming:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Same price as a 550vx, so might as well get it.

It comes to $586 then $30 of mail in rebates. Not sure if you want a new case or not. It's personal preference really. If you want to spend a little more, then you could upgrade the processor to a X4 940.

a phenom 920 is better (in pretty much every way) than a q8200. so is an e8400, for gaming.
with the 12gb of RAM, have your buddy pull up his task manager when he is maxing out his rig or doing several memory intensive tasks. then you can lol @ him because he has about 6-8GB more RAM than he would be using at that time. unless he does CAD. or animation for Pixar.

Well I figured AMD couldn't be as bad as he said it was, and like I mentioned before, I have never really heard of someone having a good reason to buy a top end Intel CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom