Should I build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avid1975

Beta member
Hey all,
I'm new to the forums and after reading some of the posts, I'm now interested in possibly building a computer. I just went out and bought one from bestbuy a few days ago, but now think I might've made a mistake (after reading the forums). Bestbuy does have a 14 day return policy, so I would like to know if you think I can do better than what I purchased there.

Okay, so here's what I purchased: HP - Pavilion Desktop with AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9150e Quad-Core Processor - a6700y.
Its an HP Pavilion Desktop with AMD Phenom X4 9150e QuadCore. The processor is 1.8 ghz. It has 4gb of RAM and 500 GB HD. It has Nvidia 6150 graphics and has Vista 64 bit edition. I also got the '22 monitor that is HP.

I told the guy at the store that I don't need the most state of the art, modern computer, but that I wanted something that will be around for a while. My old computer is pentium 4 and that is still working fine, and the only reason why I am upgrading is b/c I've maxed out the memory to 1 gb.

I don't really plan on doing more than surfing the net and checking email, and I will be running a program that is called 'tradestation' that I think takes about 1 gb of RAM when running. Also, I think this program requires at least a processor speed of 2.5 ghz or better. Im not really a gamer, but I wouldn't mind having the capability to do so in the future. I think I would like to have 4gb of RAM or better. I'm looking to spend right around $800.00, which is what I spent at BestBuy (w/ the monitor).

The only reason why I'm questioning what I purchased is that it has a 1.8 ghz processor. Can someone explain to me why that is so low? I know its a Phenom Quad, but my old pentium, which is 7 years old has the same speed.

Okay, well any help that you guys can provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Avid

you cant measure a new processor vs an old processor by the ghz. the phenom is light years ahead of the P4 architecture and performance-wise.
if you have 800 dollars, we can suggest parts for a better build than the best buy rig as well as the dell listed above. although that is a pretty good deal if the dell actually sells for that much.

although that is a pretty good deal if the dell actually sells for that much.

Oh yes, trust me, my brother and I tried to find the parts to make a better deal, and it's just not possible unless you buy parts in bulk (usually 300+ units). In the end, we figured "Why pay twice as much for "cutting edge" when you can pay half and still get 80% of the performance?

yeah dude you aint gonna build a good comp for 300 bucks if you have to buy all the parts. the only problem with dell that i have encountered is proprietary design (sometimes a PITA to upgrade) and NO OVERCLOCKING (this one seals the deal for me).

LOL, I have never found a need for OC'ing anything, as you only legitimately peg the CPU when you're doing heavy stuffy like video processing. And then you're going to be at it for a while so there's no point in getting an extra 2-5% power while simultaneously cutting the life in half. IMO.

well, the point to me is, besides being fun and seeing how far you can press your rig...
when you are doing heavy stuff like video processing is (one of the times) when it is most useful. i have my 9450 running at 3.6ghz at a touch over stock voltage. thats 1ghz faster than stock, which i can assure you equates to more than a 5% increase in speed/power/crunching ability. it also is important if you have a processor and graphics card that are a little older and only have money to upgrade, say the GFX. depending on which card you use, overclocking your cpu can then have a TREMENDOUS effect on your rig's performance during gaming. there are more reasons, but those two (and benchmarking) are the best examples.
as far as shortening the life....
10 years vs. 5 years? lol...those of us that overclock ususally upgrade um, a little more often than that, so thats kind of a moot point. if i was using it in an office, i wouldnt OC it :p. and really, you dont halve the age unless you give it substantially more voltage than stock, or it gets too hot constantly. OCing in itself doesnt halve the life of a CPU, thats a myth. at least not like "OMFG this cpu was supposed to last 20 years and now look it has only been 10 and i am up the creek without a paddle now!"

Agreed, it's free extra performance. I see no reason not to, unless you don't know what you're doing. But there are a ton of guides out there to explain it in detail. That's pretty much how I learned, also with a little trial and error :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom