New Video card, what to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dartgande

In Runtime
Well if any of you've seen my latest gripe, you all know that my GTX 260 is being a bad boy, and I've had it RMA'ed, so on and so forth, and ultimately I have decided to get a new card.

I look up reviews extensively, and I look everywhere; however, reviews don't really help me as much as this place. For some reason, I get a warm-fuzzy feeling from the suggestions of the community here, and therefore, I have decided to come to you all with my newest issue!

My budget is $350.00-$400.00, but I would prefer to stay on the lower end of this price range. What would be a good upgrade from a GTX 260? What would be my best bang-for-buck ratio out of all the cards available?

I was really looking up GTX280-285 vs. 4850x2 comparisons, but a lot of gripes stimulated from dual-gpu technology, stating that drivers can be a hassle.

So what would be the best card in my price range?

Thanks all, for your help, in advanced!

Well, i will vote for the GTX285 - its serving me extremely well, and at 1680x1050 it can handle any game at 4xAA. If you game on a higher res though, you might want to consider a 4870x2.

I have heard some fairly poor reports about the 4850x2, its seems to come under the gtx285 in fps in most games. A single card solution is always better in my opinion if you have the choice. Less power (mostly) and less headaches.

GTX 285 is priced at $345.00

4850x2 priced at $280.00

Is the price difference of $65.00 worth it?

I don't think the GTX 285 justifies the higher price considering it is actually the slower of the two cards.

What motherboard do you have?

I see - So it is as I feared, and dual gpu solutions are a pain. I do game at a 1900x1200 solution. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go with the GTX 295? Is there something awesome if I wait a month or so? I don't have to have it absolutely now, as I am only playing The Witcher, and it mostly runs fine.

I see - So it is as I feared, and dual gpu solutions are a pain. I do game at a 1900x1200 solution. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go with the GTX 295? Is there something awesome if I wait a month or so? I don't have to have it absolutely now, as I am only playing The Witcher, and it mostly runs fine.

You can get a HD4870x2 for $400. The drivers i think by this stage are fairly mature, it just seems that the 4850x2 has a few issues though.

Also the $65 difference, well thats up to you, read lots of reviews.

I don't think the GTX 285 justifies the higher price considering it is actually the slower of the two cards.

What motherboard do you have?

nah, the GTX 285 is accually fast as or faster than the 4850x2. the GTX 280 is slower than the 4850x2. but for the price a 4850x2 is a good card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom