Vista wont recognize slave Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

s281dash554

Beta member
I recently had a power supply fail in my pc, its not the first time, I built the PC and have pretty much background knowledge about computers. I am stumped on this however, I replaced the power supply, very routine anymore. Fired it up, booted fine, and am currently using it now; however my secondary hard drive will not show up in “my computer”. It shows in device manager as “This device is working correctly” It shows in the BIOS. Every time I restart and go back into device manager the Drive is not listed until I click search for “plug and play” hardware, then it remains listed as working correctly. Also note that it shows as being only 8mb, it is a 120 gig. I'm thinking it's a partition problem. I have a lot of personal files on the drive and am looking for a way around formatting it to make it work again. Any help would be great; I'm tearing my hair out over this thing. K8V MB, 3200+ AMD, 30gig WD master drive, 120gig Slave drive, Gig of pc3200 Ram. I'm running Vista ultimate, blah.

Is the Drive connected by SATA or IDE?

Have you tried a different Cable and molex connector to the drive.

If that doesn't work try the drive in another computer.

Make sure the partition didn't get somehow corrupted by looking to see if its recognized in Disk Management.

It is IDE, I went over all connections, changed the data cable and tryed a different power supply connection, it will show in disk management, and in the bios, however it is showing as being less than 8mb instead of 120gb, I think the partition got messed up, and the 8mb is just unnallocated from the original partioning. For some reason the computer will not recognize it automatically, I have to go into the device manager and hit search for plug and play devices, then it will show in computer management. I think its working properly just the partition got screwed up, is there a way to repartition it without losing my data? It seems so simple I just dont want to lose all my data by formatting it. Thanks for your previous and future replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom