Looking into a new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

whisperofnight

Beta member
I'm looking to purchase a new computer for gaming. I haven't been able to play a new game in almost 2 years due in part to not understanding alot of the new computer specs. dual core, multi core, it's all greek to me. I don't have thousands to spend on a top of the line gaming machine so I'm going to have to go the old fashioned way and buy something and slowly upgrade it. I've got my eye on this particular machine and am curious as to how well it will run games such as warhammer online, cod4, the witcher and the like. I know it's not going to run any of them out of the box I am going to have to change at least the graphics card. My question really is this machine worth it and could i play these games with slight upgrades?

Product Features

* AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9100e* quad-core processor
True multicore processing for extreme multitasking performance. Cool'n'Quietâ„¢ 2.0 technology for efficient energy usage. HyperTransportâ„¢ 3.0 technology to improve 3D graphics performance.
* Direct Connect Architecture
Delivers overall system performance. AMD Wide Floating Point Accelerator and AMD Digital Media Xpressâ„¢ 2.0 for improved digital media and 3D gaming and graphics.
* AMD Memory Optimizer Technology
For multithreaded software performance, and AMD Virtualization with Rapid Virtualization Indexing to help virtualization software run securely and efficiently.
* 4GB DDR2 memory
For multitasking power, expandable to 8GB.
* SuperMulti DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
With double-layer support records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL or DVD-R DL media. Supports DVD-RAM and Labelflash direct-disc labels using compatible Labelflash media.
* 2MB L3 cache memory for efficient system processing
AMD Balanced Smart Cache for a smooth multitasking and multithreaded experience.
* 640GB Serial ATA II hard drive with 16MB cache (7200 rpm)
Provides plenty of storage for all of your data at fast read/write speeds.
* ATI RADEON HD 3200 hybrid graphics
With up to 256MB shared video memory, PCI Express expansion slot and built-in HDMI port.
* 15-in-1 digital media card reader
With Smart Copy button supports CompactFlash Type I/II, Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard Plus, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo.
* Also supports SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card and Microdrive. Supports mini Secure Digital, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC) and MultiMediaCard Mobile with optional adapter (not included).
* 2 IEEE 1394 ports and 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
Both front and rear accessible for fast digital transfer and easy connection of peripherals.
* Built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet with RJ-45 connector
Along with a high-speed V.92 data/fax modem for easy Internet connections.
* Amplified stereo speakers
With support for high-definition audio (8-channel support) deliver crisp, clear sound.
* Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system with Service Pack 1 (SP1) preinstalled

What is your prospective budget, and what do you already have (monitor, keyboard, mouse, salvageable parts from your old rig like optical drive, hard drive, etc.)?

Building a decent gaming rig is not hard. It may seem like it at first, but it is actually very simple.

Here's another one I found. The processor here is pretty small as well I think. I'm not sure how dual core/ quad core processors work. 1.8 sounds slow but 1.8 x4 sounds fast. I don't know if they work that way or independently though. Anyway here's the specs.

# HP w2207h 22" diagonal rotating LCD monitor with built-in stereo speakers
Presents 1680 x 1050 resolution with 5-ms. response time and up to 3000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
# 1.8 GHz AMD Phenom X4 5200+ quad-core processor 9150e
Delivers 64-bit processing with the power of four separate cores to meet the demands of multitasking and multimedia
# 7 GB of DDR2 system memory
Offers exceptional performance for today's demanding applications
# 640 GB hard drive, 7200 rpm
Provides plenty of storage space for documents, games, music, photos and videos
# SuperMulti DVD+/-RW drive with double-layer and LightScribe support
Lets you burn and play DVDs and CDs for entertainment and data backup
# 10/100 Base-T network interface
Connects to the Internet or a network via an Ethernet port
# 15-in-1 digital media card reader
Reads virtually all memory card formats so you can enjoy photos, music and other files
# Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack 1
Makes your total computing experience more efficient, more secure and more fun while also taking advantage of AMD 64-bit processing power

The real question here is how much are these machines and how much do you have to spend? If you are willing to upgrade a prebuilt would you also be willing to build your own?

I'd be willing for sure. The thing is I know how to do things such as changing graphics cards, hard drives, etc. However, i know nothing about installing a cpu on a motherboard or installing a power supply and such. Honestly I wouldn't even know how to bolt the motherboard onto the case.

That's what we are here for. That, and about a thousand guides on the web. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom