RAM newer than DDR400 (PC3200) supported on my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominican2589

Baseband Member
I have a Dell Dimension 8300 that supports DDR400 (PC3200) RAM. I am looking for RAM to upgrade it be see that because of supply and demand, those RAM are more expensive than newer ones. Is there any newer RAM that I could buy cheaper that would work on my machine? I am looking for 1GB sticks to bring it up to 2GB either buying each one alone or in pair.

Would also like to know if it would work for an eMachines T3882 which I am also looking to upgrade its RAM

The eMachines T3882 supports up to 2GB (two slots) of DDR333 (PC2700). And no, there is not newer ram that you could put in your computer. You have to go with the PC3200 for the Dell. It does however support up to 4GB (four slots). Whatever the RAM you choose, it must be installed in matching pair from what I read when I looked up the 8300. These would be great choice to go with... Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

thanks Ksingler. but the t3882 does support ddr400. that is what I have in it now, and it is also what it came with. it also says DDR400 on emachines website

guess I'll just have to find some money to be able to upgrade

DDR won't be getting any cheaper since it is no longer used. While that set of G.Skill are a good deal and really good, they are high performance RAM. This set is $8 cheaper and will give the same performance since neither machine will overclock.

thanks for all the help. since both of you recommended g.skill RAM, i suppose it is a trusted brand?

i was also reading that instead of going with branded RAM that one should look for branded memory modules themselves, does the g.skill have a good brand?

I am running 2GB of G.Skill right now. Great stuff. I forget which chips they use, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom