Outta Space!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmg4lktan

Baseband Member
Hi there dear guys ...

well ... i have some problem with my Windows XP ... so i came back here for help ...

before this ... the problem is even bigger ... the desktop won't show up ... only my wallpaper is loaded ... but when i execute any command like "Stand By", "Restart" ... the desktop did show up for a moment ... but then it either restart or shut down ... if not ... it will be the same (wallpaper only) when i log back in ...

anyhow ... the desktop magically show up again when i started my computer two hours ago ... until now ... and i am worry the problem will be back again ... so i won't switch it off at the moment ...

ok ... back to my main objective of starting this thread ... i am outta space (disk space) ... with my 60 GB partition left only 200++ MB ... anyway ... i have another partition with about 14.5 GB ... and i am moving some files over ... but the problem is ... after i move it to the partition ... my original partition (1st) didn't show any increase in disk space ... i am sure the files is deleted as i tried both "cut and paste" and "copy and delete" ...

so i try use the "disk cleaning manager" came with windows ... but it won't complete the scanning with only 3 "little" blocks there ... i tried leaving it there overnight ... nothing helps ... i know buying a new HD and backup all files to it and reformat may be the best solution ... but i would like to know what i can do before that ...

another problem is ... ever since i accidentally "cut" (actually i wasn't hurt as the fan just started as i startup my machine) by the heatsink fan's fins (sorry for my poor English) ... after that ... the temperature seems to raise easily ... from not over 50 C (46-49) to about over 50 C (51 - 55) ... i use the stock heatsink fan ... must i replace the HSF? * should this be move to the Hardware section? *

any assistant will be greatly appreciated ... especially on the disk space problem ... Thanks ...

If XP's disk cleaning tool is freezing at the same point every time, you may have some bad sectors or even physical damage to your hard drive. You should do a full scan on the drive with scandisk (open the properties page for your HD, go to tools, check HD for errors) making sure to scan for bad sectors.

About the HSF, it would probably be a good idea to replace it just to be on the safe side. You can get a decent replacement for $30 or less these days, so you can't really go wrong.

Also, if your desktop icons are missing you can check to make sure they aren't hidden by right-clicking on your desktop and checking under "Arrange Icons By" to see if "Show Desktop Icons" is checked. Also, do you have any 3rd party utilities loading at startup that might interfere with your desktop icons? I once downloaded a spell checker that hid all of my icons every time it loaded up, but uninstalling it fixed the problem.

I agree with microbell try using Tweat IU it should definately help. It also definately sounds like you could use a new hard-drive. This time before you load it up I would recommend using Fdisk to make a 5GB partition for your OS, another 5 GB partition for any antivirus, printers, etc. and then the rest of the drive as a final partition for games etc with big files. then if you have to format and reload you will only have to format C: and not lose any of your data on the other partitions. A little prevention goes a long way. *lol*

þÄ®âÐÖx said:
If XP's disk cleaning tool is freezing at the same point every time, you may have some bad sectors or even physical damage to your hard drive. You should do a full scan on the drive with scandisk (open the properties page for your HD, go to tools, check HD for errors) making sure to scan for bad sectors.

well ... it did seems like "freezing" at the point ... but when i check with the task manager ...

the CPU process show 100% usage ... which over 90% was taken over by the cleanmanager ...

i'll try and see if there's any "bad sector" ... hopefully not ... since everything works fine so far ...

About the HSF, it would probably be a good idea to replace it just to be on the safe side. You can get a decent replacement for $30 or less these days, so you can't really go wrong.

well ... thanks for the suggestion ... i'll see what i can grab in the coming PC fair ...

Also, if your desktop icons are missing you can check to make sure they aren't hidden by right-clicking on your desktop and checking under "Arrange Icons By" to see if "Show Desktop Icons" is checked. Also, do you have any 3rd party utilities loading at startup that might interfere with your desktop icons? I once downloaded a spell checker that hid all of my icons every time it loaded up, but uninstalling it fixed the problem.

nope ... it didn't work ... nothing is on the desktop except the wallpaper ...

right-click does nothing ... and as for third-party utilities ... i didn't install any before the problem occur ...

MicroBell said:
Couple of other points. When moveing files between drives/partitions always hit the view/refresh tab for the hard drive or file for it to show the current size.

is it true that it won't automatically refresh? even after several restart? pretty impossible ...

but i have to mention that i'm using NTFS ... and when the free come to a critical point ... say 50 MB ... then the free space suddenly increases to 500++ MB ... however ... i have no idea why this happen and how to get my extra few gigs back ... :(

As for the heatsink.....50C is within range (assuming it's an Athlon PC) for a stock cooler. The CPU shutdown for an overheat is about 80C. I have a few PC's running with stock cooling and both are around 48-51C under load.

well ... i know it should be about that temperature ... but i have the side-panels of the casing removed ...

also ... it never goes beyond 50 C after i remove the side-panel since last year ... but now it easily go over 50 C (at least) ...

As for your Icons not showing up...if you have tweakUI installed..try the "Rebuild Icons" tab. You may have to reinstall XP or do a repair to get the Icons back. Also check as "Para" said..make sure "show desktop icons" has a check next to it.

sorry ... i don't use tweakUI ... do i have to install it to fix the problem?

and by the way ... i did try to repair XP with the CD before and the problem gone after that ... but it takes up some space ...

however ... the problem came back again after a restart ... sigh ... :(

i also have to mention that the probelm gone for a while when i use it last night ... and when my sis switch on the computer ... no problem as well ...

however ... just as i switch on the computer just now ... the problem came back ... :(

microsoftne said:
I agree with microbell try using Tweat IU it should definately help. It also definately sounds like you could use a new hard-drive. This time before you load it up I would recommend using Fdisk to make a 5GB for your OS, another 5 GB partition for any antivirus, printers, etc. and then the rest of the drive as a final partition for games etc with big files. then if you have to format and reload you will only have to format C: and not lose any of your data on the other partitions. A little prevention goes a long way. *lol*

this will be my last option ...

Thanks for all the replies guys ... but what should i do now? Thanks a lot ... :bald:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom