What performance increase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrlow2

Baseband Member
Am currently working with a 7200rpm IDE hard drive.
Have already ordered a Hitachi (80GB 7200rpm) SATA drive. SATA is supported by my motherboard.
Was just wondering what type of performance increase(besides better air circulation) I could expect to see from this switch.:confused:

What are you talking about? Even the first iteration of SATA had better transfer times than IDE, and the current format is even faster, especially since most new SATA drives have at least 16mb of cache, much more than the 2mb and 8mb IDE drives.

^^ The SATA interface is faster but that doesn't automatically mean the drive connected to it is. If the drive couldn't saturate a IDE interface moving to SATA would make no difference in performance.

What are you talking about? Even the first iteration of SATA had better transfer times than IDE, and the current format is even faster, especially since most new SATA drives have at least 16mb of cache, much more than the 2mb and 8mb IDE drives.

Couldn't re-word any better than this.

16mb of cache, More room. + Better than 2mb-9mb IDE Drives.

edit:2-8 :( 2-9 :)

^^ The SATA interface is faster but that doesn't automatically mean the drive connected to it is. If the drive couldn't saturate a IDE interface moving to SATA would make no difference in performance.

Well, you can't really buy SATA150 drives anymore, and you shouldn't anyway...even if the motherboard doesn't support the newest SATA format, it's still backwards compatible, and the SATA150 interface is still slightly faster than IDE.

For that matter, even if you have a SATA3.0gb/s drive plugged into a SATA150, it's still faster. I know this from personal experience myself, I moved from a SATA150 drive with the same interface to a SATA3.0gb/s, and I saw performance increases.

Puddle jumper is right. The fastest drive I have ever owned is the 74GB cheetah 15k.5 but at 127MB/s, technically one would not quite max out 133MB/s IDE on it's own. I would say that in this case increased performance comes from the drive not the interface.

Puddle jumper is right. The fastest drive I have ever owned is the 74GB cheetah 15k.5 but at 127MB/s, technically one would not quite max out 133MB/s IDE on it's own. I would say that in this case increased performance comes from the drive not the interface.

QFT Sata is to hard drives as Pcie is to vide cards. The extra bandwidth is nice, but its not necessary, not when the fastest hard drives can barely max a single ide channel.

TBH I was disappointed when I made the move to Sata in 2004, but looking back it makes a lot of sense, IDE wasn't the bottleneck, the hard drive was and still is. It's been over 5 years with 7200rpm the standard speed. it seems to me that hard drives are going the way of the dinosaur. I can't wait to get an SSD, or 2 or 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom