Step Up to EVGA Classified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infowarrior45

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

With some discounts I got, I ended up with a little bit of play money in my build budget...around $170. :)

Do you think I should get 6GB more of the OCZ RAM, or should I step up my EVGA mobo to the EVGA x58 Classified? I'm not really a gamer, so I definitely won't be utilizing the 3 way SLI/PhsyX/sound card setup that they are advertising with the Classified. I'm doing more photo editing and hi-def video work. I'll probably be throwing a sound card in there. I do kind of like the layout of the new Classified board better...it's one sweet looking board. What do you think?

Here are the parts I have:

Core i7 920
EVGA x58 SLI mobo
EVGA GTX 285 SC
CoolerMaster HAF 932
OCZ Platinum 3x 2GB DDR 1600
WD Caviar Black 750GB x3
Corsair 750 watt PSU
Samsung 22x DVD burner
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
MS Home and Student 2007

Thanks!!

infowarrior45

You have plenty of RAM already, and you aren't going to need the new mobo.

Honestly, I would save that money for something else besides parts. What kind of monitor do you have? Maybe you could put it towards a nice one.

Honestly, I would save that money for something else besides parts. What kind of monitor do you have? Maybe you could put it towards a nice one.

+1 to that

how about a nice UPS?

if power went out for whatever reason... or lightning strikes, your work won't be gone

Good point. i was gonna say something about buying another HDD, but he has 2.25tb of space, haha. No more HDDs. A UPS wouldn't be a bad idea.

Ya the evga x58 classified is built for extreme overclocking. It will be absolutely useless to you. The regular evga x58 will be awesome.

I say put it towards a nice 30" lcd if you don't already have one :) or if thats too much, get like a 26" or a 28"

The only real reason to go with the classified is if you are planning to go for obscene clocks as it has 2 8 pin connections and room for both tri-sli, a soundcard AND a physx card. Otherwise the normal x58 is more than enough.

Ok, thanks guys. Yeah, I think putting it towards the monitor would be a great idea. Right now I have a 19" CRT piece of junk that is super dim.

If it put the extra money into the monitor budget, I can spend around $400. I can push that a little bit if it is a really good monitor. It has to be at least 1900x1080/1200. I don't really care if it is 16:9 or 16:10. I would like to get one as big as possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
infowarrior45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom