New Computer Desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobojuice

WOOOOOOOO
So, I'm building a new desk and I figured I'd share it with y'all. I've been planning the crap out of this thing, and I even drew up some plans in cad, but everything kinda went to crap. I didn't really know that 1x2s and 2x2s weren't really 1 inch by 2 inch etc...

so it threw off alot of my planning and i had to work some stuff out as I went along. Not to mention when i grabbed the top piece today to attach the frame to it, it looked like a freaking dome it was so warped. >_<

i guess i shouldnt have left it outside in the miami humidity/surprise rain.

Anyway, here are some pics so far. I'll update as the project comes along.

n605538137_1559664_826886.jpg

Bottom of the desk. There you can see the reinforced frame I put on it. I did this cause im gonna be putting a 32 inch plasma on top of it. :D

n605538137_1559666_4645016.jpg

Here's the desk standing up. The right legs look bent but I guess it's just the angle. I checked it with the level and I was actually surprised it's almost perfectly level.

n605538137_1559667_854067.jpg

There's the top. I used about a million screws in this thing. Btw, if anyone is looking to do some construction in the near future check out SPAX screws. THEY'RE AMAZING!

n605538137_1559668_7350466.jpg

There's the profile of the desk. Right at the bottom I'm gonna make some small shelves for both of my computers to sit on. One on each side.

So that's it for now, still got a bit more work to do, plus sanding and sanding and sanding and painting and painting and painting. Oh, and if anyone has some ideas on how I can paint this thing, I wouldn't mind hearing them. I've got some ideas, but I'm not too sure yet.

What kind of plans do you have for it besides the shelves? You could have a lot of fun with this...

First off, are you going to make a keyboard tray?

It's not looking bad so far. What kind of wood are you using? I'd guess pine but maybe you're doing something else.

For me the front right leg looks a little warped in the pic. What are you going to clad it with?

Bit too late I woul think for you but people may find this helpful:
2x2 hardwood would be best for the legs. 2x1 cross braces in a trangular pattern. Reinforce joints with dowes or if your up to the challenge use as many dover tail joints as you can. If you can sit on it without any form of sagging (use a level to test) then you should be fine.

Besides the shelves for the computers, I'm probably gonna add a small stand for my 22 inch LCD that is going on the right side. HDTV is going on the left. And no keyboard tray, I actually like having my keyboard on the same surface as everything else. I have a keyboard tray now and I'm really not too fond of it.

For the top and the shelves I went with some cheapo Home Depot 1/2 inch Sandeply. It's pretty crappy material, but it's cheap and I've made a desk before with it, and it worked out okay. I'm not really going for perfection, just something cheap that'll help me unclutter my area. :D Oh, and the legs and frame, I don't really remember what they were, all I know is that they're straight and pretty solid so that's all that matters to me.

Saltnay, the warp is probably from my camera, I can attest that everything is pretty straight. This is only the second project I've ever done as far as woodworking is concerned, so dovetails and dowels might have to be used next time. For now I'm just using as many screws as possible. Haha.

All in all, I've only spent about 90 bucks on everything, maybe a bit more for extra screws. 70 was in a giftcard so i only really technically spent 20 bucks.

Oh, and if anyone has some ideas on how I can paint this thing, I wouldn't mind hearing them. I've got some ideas, but I'm not too sure yet.
Honestly, I would use like some varnish or something. I'm a fan of natural wood look and covering it up with paint is a sin...haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom