New video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
My 4850 isn't doing too well of a job with my new monitors resolution, 1920x1080 and I'm guessing that that is because of the video memory. (instead of getting a quad core I'm getting a better video card, I figure I will get better performance from that then I will a q6600, or q9400) Anyways I was looking at getting a GTX 260 core 216, I know 1GB 4870's beat them but I would like to get a better brand then what ATi has: XFX or EVGA (I know the 4870 has XFX but its a little more then what I am willing to spend)

I was hoping to get this card but there seems to be strange things going on with it: Newegg.com - XFX GX260NADFF GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

earlier this week it was $200, now it's $250. I looked on tigerdirect.com today (I don't buy from them) and it was $200... Is this newegg trying to get people not to buy this card so they will buy other cards?

EDIT: Here is the link to it on tigerdirect:XFX GeForce GTX 260 Video Card - 896MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, FREE Far Cry 2 GX260NADFF at TigerDirect.com $199 before shipping... They show 1 6 pin and 1 8 pin power connector.

Also I'm a little confused on the power requirements. In the picture it shows 2 6 pin power connectors and in the specs under Power Connector row in the specs it says 2 6 pin power connectors but in the system requirements row it says it need one 6 pin and one 8 pin power connector is this an error by newegg or do I need one 6 pin and one 8 pin power connector?

I've also noticed it costs more then the factory overclocked edition which I find kind of odd.

If that XFX card isn't any good I will probably get this card:Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I would prefer the XFX if it were $200 do you think that it's going to go back down to $200 anytime soon?

If tigerdirect has something cheaper, I'd go ahead and buy with them. My last build was 99% Tigerdirect, and I've had no problems.

If tigerdirect has something cheaper, I'd go ahead and buy with them. My last build was 99% Tigerdirect, and I've had no problems.

Problem with that card is it has an 8 pin power connector m PSU only has 2x 6 pin power connectors.

If I did get that card could I get something like this:Newegg.com - Athena Power 16" PCI Express 6-Pin to Dual 8(6+2) Pin Linear Extension Power Converter Model CABLE-EPCIE1628 - Cables (converts one 6 pin to an 8 pin and a 6 pin) use the 8 pin power from that and use my other 6 pin power? Or are those things just crap?

tiger direct has the wrong pics. the GTX280 requires one 6 pin and 1 8pin. go with the black edition XFX GTX260 on newegg for $230. it will be money well spent. or the one from TG will be good too.

one other thing to consider, EVGA has it's voltage tuner out. it only works with EVGA GTX 260's GTX 280's GTX 285's and GTX295. so that is something to consider if you are a hard core overclocker.

earlier this week it was $200, now it's $250. I looked on tigerdirect.com today (I don't buy from them) and it was $200... Is this newegg trying to get people not to buy this card so they will buy other cards?

I've also noticed it costs more then the factory overclocked edition which I find kind of odd.

my guess would be...
newegg raises prices on items that are low in stock

earlier this month the PI blacks were at their full price
now it's down to just $45 (I picked up a set hahahah! 8GBs!)

Thank you. You are the first person that I can remember who actually
recommended a store other than Newegg! Anyone tried Provantage?
That's where I got some of my parts , including my P182 , and I had no
problems. I think we all should shop around more...it'll keep Newegg prices low!!

tiger direct has the wrong pics. the GTX280 requires one 6 pin and 1 8pin. go with the black edition XFX GTX260 on newegg for $230. it will be money well spent. or the one from TG will be good too.

one other thing to consider, EVGA has it's voltage tuner out. it only works with EVGA GTX 260's GTX 280's GTX 285's and GTX295. so that is something to consider if you are a hard core overclocker.

So the one on tiger direct is 2 6 pin power connectors, I may have to order from there because I don't have the extra $30 to get the black edition maybe I can borrow some from my parents and pay them back later :eek: but I will probably wind up getting the EVGA one or the one on tigerdirect unless the one on newegg drops.

Also how well do the GTX 260's OC? I've really only been watching ATi cards lately because of my 4850 (Which has been very good to me:))? And would that voltage tuner get me a much better overclock? I do plan on overclocking .

EDIT: If the card is low in stock how long do you guys think it would take for it to be back in stock?

Just FYI. Most Retail package cards that require (1) 6 pin & (1) 8 pin normally come with a (2) molex to (1) 8 Pin connector. If you aren't sure if a card that you would like to purchase comes with this connector, call the retailer and ask. They will be more than happy to check and verify that information for you.

This has been a friendly service announcement provided by HAVOC.

lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom