Budget gaming build

Status
Not open for further replies.
install mobo drivers from CD first then get the latest drivers

mount the psu with the fan pointing down, there are little mounts to keep it off of the bottom of the case.

yes.

and one thing, the 4850X2 might not fit in the case. if it dont then you will need to get a dremel and cut a chunk of the HDD cage out. i had a antec three hundred ( virtually the same as a 900, just smaller top fan and diff front bezel) and i had about .5" from the end of my 9800GTX to the HDD cage, i beleve the 4850X2 is about 11.5" long. just something to watch out for.

OK good to know, thanks guys. It's out for delivery now, so it should be here any time. Just gotta hope nothing's DOA. I'm super stoked to get it up and running.

Since the HDD cages are removable in the 900, maybe I can just take the bottom one out if there's any clearance issues. Hopefully it'll all fit smoothly, but we'll see.

Well I'm posting from the new machine right now. It took a little longer to put together than I thought it would (over 2 hours I think), but ultimately all is well. I can see now why modular PSU's are nice, I didn't know what to do with all the frickin cords from mine. Windows is updating and I'm about to install the GPU drivers. Once I do that, it's time to install some games and see how they look. If I overclock I'll probably use Gigabytes Easytune6 since I have no idea what I'm doing on my own. The comp's a little louder than I thought it would be too. I have all fans on medium so maybe I'll have to turn them down to low and see how it runs.

Again thanks to all that helped. It feels really good to have it all up and running with no apparent problems, even if it did get a little frustrating at times.

I know from personal experience that u should not use
EasyTune6 or any other software to overclock. It's bad ,
mmm kay? In fact , I had problems with all of Gigabyte's
"non-essential" software. Mainly problems with vista 64-bit
compatibility. If you nee help overclocking , seek help here,
watch u-tube vids , etc...

What do you mean it's bad? The settings it uses or what?

My front audio panel on the case doesn't seem to be working. I hooked up the AC-97 jack to the motherboard, should I have hooked up the HD audio one instead??

Oh , I'm sure you'll hear it from others on the forums.
As soon as I posted that I oc'ed with easytune , I got
reamed by like 50 people telling me NOOOOO!!!!!:eek:
Apparently it's far less stable/reliable than manually o.c.ing

it is a little less stable than overclocking via BIOS but it will overclock the GPU just nicely. and contol fans.

i have had 0 problems with any gigabyte software in vista ultimate 64-bit. every thing works perfectly.

What do you mean it's bad? The settings it uses or what?

My front audio panel on the case doesn't seem to be working. I hooked up the AC-97 jack to the motherboard, should I have hooked up the HD audio one instead??

I had the same problem, you have to enable it int he manager.
Open up the realtek HD audio manager (shoudl be on the taskbar) on the right there is a panel that says analog, you will notice what looks like a folder. Open it. There check the option to disable the front audio port, I know it seems counter intuitive but it works.

As for overclocking, NEVER use applications to do it. The only time that is ever recommended is when you are going for an absolute WR and you are past the point of boot stable. Otherwise always use the BIOS. We have a guide here in the hardware section, its a little out of date but the lessons still apply.

it is a little less stable than overclocking via BIOS but it will overclock the GPU just nicely. and contol fans.

i have had 0 problems with any gigabyte software in vista ultimate 64-bit. every thing works perfectly.

Which software? I had trouble with Easytune (uninstalled it) and the one that is supposed to save electricity (found it a worthless system hog) I wasn't referring to
bios and other essential stuff. Oh , and yes , I use ATI'S CCC TO OVERCLOCK THE GPU That seems to work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom