Won't boot to bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttech

Beta member
I'm hoping someone can offer advice on my problem. I just received a new video card and memory to install on my old ASRock 939 dual sata MB. Installed the new memory and card and when I powered on, nothing. No bios screen. No beeps. No HD activity indicating it was booting. I can only power off with switch on PSU.
I took the new video card out and put old one back in. I took the new memory out and still no boot. Fan comes on PSU. Any advice on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Put your old suff back in, and reset your cmos. Check your mobo manual.

Then Vid card with old RAM

Then add new RAM, and try.

If it doesn't boot inbetween do the cmos.

What RAM and vid card is the new one?

The memory is OCZ 2X1GB DDR400 and the video card is a Sapphire 4830. The ASRock site seems to be down for the moment but I'll look up how to reset CMOS when it's back up. I hadn't thought about trying CMOS reset.

Well my old card was an EVGA 7600GT that went out a week ago. While I was waiting on the new card to arrive I was running some old AGP card I had laying around. That was working fine until I tried installing the new card and memory.
I tried resetting the CMOS but still nothing. I tried booting with just one of the old memory cards. I checked the connection of every cable coming off the power supply. I even tried another old video card I have. The CPU fan and case fans come on. The power light comes on red. No beeps or hard drive activity. I'm lost.

Hmm, I wonder if you've bent the board and shorted out the board..

Did you happen to unplug the cpu power cable by accident? Its the 4 pin by the cpu,

Most importantly...... you did plug in pci-e of the 4830 correct?

Your 7600gt didn't have thisx plug...

I checked the CPU power cable and it's good and the new card was plugged into the PCIe slot correctly. I'm beginning to think I shorted out the motherboard. I noticed that the CD drives won't work unless I unplug them from the motherboard. The only other thing I can think of is the power supply, but since all the fans work I'm betting it's the MB. I guess it's time to check Newegg for another MB. And if I'm doing that I might as well upgrade the processor too.

Patonb means did you plug in the auxillary power for the card, not if it was seated correctly in the pci-e slot.

Yes, there is a PCIe power plug on the 4830 and I had that connected to the power cable from the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom