New build could use lots of help on choosing the right parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

welchyboy

Baseband Member
Hello everyone I have build a few PC's before but never one for myself and never one like this so I could really use your help. The new PC is still a few months off but it is never to early to start planning and thinking. First off let me explain what I plan to do with this computer. I use Adobe Photoshop CS3, Adobe Flash CS3, Studio 12, Dreamweaver CS3 and many other programs. I want a computer that can run photoshop cs3, adobe flash cs3, dreamweaver and firefox all at the same time with no slow downs what so ever. I would also like to have a computer that can play many of the most recent games out there like Fear 2 and so forth. I haven't done too much research yet but I have looked into the I7 920 or the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

I have heard that the I7 920 has some great performance but operates very hot. I have read that if i chose this processor that I should definitely get a better fan. I am looking for something that is fast but will last and not burn up. If you have any suggestions on processors that are stable and high performance I am willing to listen.

I do not know what kind of motherboard I should be looking for. I know the socket types on these two processors are different so they will require different types of boards. I hear Asus and Gigabyte are good. As far as maximum memory supported I am not looking at going over 8 gb anytime soon but might like to get one that supports more so it will last longer. But this isn't too big of deal. However I am looking at one that will support DDR2 with some nice speed. Any suggestions on a mobo please let me know.

As far as RAM I would probably like to get 4 gbs at the moment maybe a little more but not too sure. I was thinking either Kingston G. Skill, or Corsair any thoughts on these brands or which one would be better. How about the size of the sticks I was thinking that the bigger the size of stick would be better for me so it did not take up as much room since most mobos have 4 slots of them.

Graphics cards can get very expensive but I want a decent one. I was thinking PCI Express 2.0 x16 would be a nice start since that is the newer technology and the mobo will support it. Not sure about brands at all. I have had some ATi's and they are good but I also hear Nvidia is great as well. I am probably the least schooled on video cards. Someone want to school me. I am interested in playing some cool high end games as well as running studio 12 and the other programs I mentioned earlier. I don't think i am looking for something with like 868 mb of memory but I am looking for some nice power and something that will last a good while. I plan on getting a nice big monitor like 22 or 24 or possibly two 19 inches and have dual monitor.

Power supply I would like something that will be able to support all of this and if I get the I7 that as well. maybe 600 - 750 something like that. Any suggestions or thoughts on this.

As you can see I have not done much research and kind of just starting to look around and putting parts together. But your suggestions can really help me out.

Please fill free to comment and suggest something that has worked for you or something that will work well for a computer for me. Thanks

Right on, the i7 920 would be your best bet, especially if you're into the whole video/photo editing stuff. They don't run too hot, nothing like ridiculous. Depends really if you overclock. What's your budget? I'm sure someone or myself can pick out some parts for ya.

Well initially I was wanting to stay at about $1000 but I could go up to $1500. The reason I say this is because the monitor and video card are included in this budget and they can be a little higher priced. I think this should be a pretty high end computer for this price don't you think? So you think the i7 is a good one huh... I read a lot of stuff about it and it sounded pretty sweet. Supposed to be way better than core 2 and most quad cores.

I like, Nice work!!! I am debating if the graphics card might be more than I might need but then again I am wanting it to last a good while...And for the hard drive I am debating whether I need this at the moment. I have a 320 and a 250 but they are both IDE. I know going to SATA will be much nicer but I could wait on this possibly...Everything else I really love. The motherboard has 6 slots that has to be the first I have seen but I have never looked at the i7 motherboards. I like the memory with the triple channel kit as well. I really do like just about everything on here even the case. Well done really. Now I have had problems with memory working with motherboards before mainly with the voltage. I looked at the memory and didn't see an operating voltage you think they will work well together?

By the way gt7sanremo and anyone else can chime in when you are free and we can get multiple ideas flowing to get the best computer possible. Thanks again hikaricloud for the help.

SATA drives are pretty cheap now...you can get a lesser HDD if you want, skimp a little here or there. IDE is pretty much a dying format, almost all new boards only come with one for compatibility's sake.

The video card is a beast, but you can get a lesser card if you want...this one is $190 instead of $240 up front, though it doesn't have an MIR:

Newegg.com - XFX HD-485X-ZDFC Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The memory will work just fine, and it has some of the best timings available for that speed RAM, for a great price.

Oh, I forgot to throw in a DVD burner. Here's a good one for 23 bucks:

Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Not a bad build. The only thing I say nix on is the monitor, since he can afford a 24", but that's still a good monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom