Password Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdinkel

Daemon Poster
I've got a question about Password Recovery in XP. My dad called me up the other day, and someone at the school he works at forgot their password, and now is locked out of their machine.

The questions I have are as follows :

1) Can a password recovery disk made from one machine (I don't know what build of XP, they didn't tell me) be used to reset another machines local account? I know its very vague, but if i knew what build , i'd be able to figure it out.

2) If not, can it be *modified benevolently* (not hacked) to allow this to happen?

3) Can Remote Assistance do this, or are the security measures too
careful?

3) If the above two are not possible, can i boot into my bootable build of XP(which can mount NTFS partitions), find the SAM and do some investigative work?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

csamuels the solution to that question can be viewed by members only. We cannot see the rest of that thread and I do not think it's fair to pay $10 for membership for advice that should be freely available elswhere

Well guys i just got back and read the posts. Thanks csamuel for the information, it was very useful. Now all i need to do is some beta testing on my laptop before i give the utility to the person, and its done.

MicroBell said:
On the experts-exchange site...the answers to the questions are toward the bottom of the page.

one of these days I will learn to scroll down. it all looked like adverts when I was skimming through it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom