Hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadRacer

In Runtime
Don't know if this is a HW or SW problem; my brother has a comp that that will occasionally "hang" and I can't seem to figure out why. At first it did it after initial start-up; you had roughly 30 seconds on the desktop to do whatever, then it would freeze up; I thought it was the HDD going, did a disk check, and everything seemed to be working alright. I checked it through GPartition via my Ubuntu live USB stick, and it found a problem and corrected them. Computer then booted up normally and everything was working fine; this was roughly a month ago. I was just checking movie times and it froze up again; now, I'm not too sure if it's the HDD or not, because I wasn't do anything but scrolling down a page on movietickets.com when it froze......I just did a hard reboot and it appears to be working fine; for now......What do you guys think? I'll get specs up in a minute; I wasn't too sure if it was going to reboot fine or not.

EDIT: Here's the specs-

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ DC processor
1G RAM (unsure of operating specs)
GeForce 6600GT gfx
and I believe it's a WD 180G HDD
Windows XP SP3

The comp was bought pre-assembled, hence me not knowing most of the specs; I mainly take care of my comp stuff now, and let them deal with theirs :p

EDIT2: by hanging I mean the comp will appear to freeze- you can move the mouse around, but not click on anything, and after trying a few times to click the mouse will freeze as well. It doesn't come out of this state, you have to restart the machine.

I think it's your CPU or ram not stable...
I had that issue with my current comp

bumped up with vcore on CPU one notch and it ran rock solid ever since

I think it's your CPU or ram not stable...
I had that issue with my current comp

bumped up with vcore on CPU one notch and it ran rock solid ever since

That's what I was thinking since it did it from just scrolling down a webpage. Nothing is OC'd on this rig though......I'm probably going to pull it apart this next week, clean it out, and check everything.

Memtest didn't find any errors; even ran a bunch of scans to put the system under full load, and after 7hrs no errors. BUT, we restarted the system just to find 1/2 our desktop icons and installed programs missing. This makes me think HDD, but IDK.

Run check disk on the hard drive. Open My Computer. Right click on the Drive. Under tools you will see the option for error checking. There select every option. Then start it. It will most likely tell you that it will have to be on the next restart since it is the system drive. So restart the system and let it go through the check disk function. There it will scan the drive for bad sectors and try to repair them.

Post back with some of the results. Will have to jot them down on a sheet of paper since that log file isnt easy to access. ;)

Have you run it since? Something could have changed since the first time it started to mess up.

It's really sounding like a HDD issue to me. Try what Mak said and run chkdsk again, then get back with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom