Completely New Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
Hi, I have kind of been out of the loop for the past few years (I've been living out of he country) and I would like to build a new PC. Before I left I had a pretty decent machine, you know with the case lights, matching cables, oversize fans ect.... the whole nine yards as you can see below. I think I built that thing in 04 or 05. Now that I'm in college, I have little time to game and work off a crappy bottom of the line HP Laptop, which is basically only good for typing and sending emails. I'm lucky to get WC3 running well on this thing.

Anyways I want to build a machine I can play on when I have time. I have a friend who is constantly nagging me to play with him, and I have nothing to play on. So I was looking for a fairly budget machine, maybe $500. I don't want some monster that takes up the entire desktop and raises the room temperature by 20 degrees, just something small and simple that will run games. They don't have to be in high graphics mode or whatever, they just need to run smoothly, without the "Please lower your video settings to improve game quality".

I'm not really sure whats good anymore. The last time I built a machine it was pretty cut and dry what was good and what wasn't, and you knew back then that the higher number was usually the better, faster part. Now it seems, its not that simple. You can buy a 1GB Graphics card but that doesn't necessarily mean its faster than a 512MB Card.

Basically I need a PSU, Case, Mobo, CPU, Graphics Card, Ram, OS, HD, and a CD-Drive. Thats about it. Like I said, by no means does it have to be the fastest, it just has to run games like company of heroes, in low-medium settings. But I definatly want the best bang for my buck, and potentially the possibility to upgrade in the near future should I decide I need more speed.

Gaaahhhh beaten again. j/k ;)

With the 8450 Toliman there is actually a coupon code to make it $71.99, AMD335 exp. 3/31

Even better. ;)

Full ATX, more USB, can handle more RAM, 8-channel sound. No onboard graphics, so that is it's main shortcoming.

Aspire and Apevia are both on the Brands to Avoid list: http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/read-first-updated-power-supply-guide-137927/

Here is the list for High to Medium End computers:
  • Antec
  • BeQuiet! (Dark Power Pro Models)
  • Enermax (NoiseTaker And Infiniti 720W)
  • OCZ Technology
  • Fortron (FSP)
  • Hiper (Type M and Type R Only, 670 and 730 Watts)
  • Seasonic
  • Sunbeam (NUUO 550W)
  • Silverstone
  • Gigabyte (Odin GT)
  • Rosewill (Xtreme Series, RD600N)
  • PC Power and Cooling
  • Corsair
  • I-Star
  • Tagan (Except EasyCon 530 Watt)
  • Sparkle
  • Enhance
  • ThermalTake (ToughPower Line Only)
  • Vantec
  • Xclio (850W, Enhance Built, Stable And GreatPower Models)
  • Ultra (X Finity, X3's Models, X Pro)
  • Mushkin (Excluding HP-550 Model)
  • NorthQ (Giant Connector 850W)
  • Coolermaster (Real Power Series only)
  • Fortron (FSP)
  • Zalman (ZM600-HP)

Here are the top brands in descending order:
  • Super Micro
  • PC Power and cooling
  • Etasis
  • Zippy
  • Seasonic
  • Corsair
  • Silverstone (ST400)
  • Enhance
  • Coolermaster( High Wattage and Real Power Models Only)
  • OCZ Technologies
  • Tagan (Except EasyCon 530 Watt)
  • Enermax
  • Fortron (FSP)
  • Antec
  • Mushkin (Excluding HP-550 Model)
  • Hiper (Type R and Type M only)

Did you notice that there are a suspiciously high number of people coming back to comment on how that PSU has been working fine for long periods of time including 3, 4 and even 6 years? But hey, yours is still going after what? 4 years so maybe its all true who knows. Either way you will probably need a new PSU since I don't see any SATA or PCI-e 6 pin connectors.

EDIT: has two SATA connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom