How do I check my driver versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
I am suspecting that my ASUS P6T mobo is causing some net issues for me, so I want check what driver versions I have for the different things.

Also, they ship the most up to date drivers with the mobo right? If I bought it in February, I would have the LAN drivers than came out last December?

actually usually the drivers that ship with hardware are a generation or two behind, unless you buy it at release.

to check drivers for LAN
control panel > device manager > network adapters (right click)> properties > driver

althoguh on asus' extremely slow website i dont see any kind of LAN driver for a P6T, so what you have is probably the most recent.

It doesnt matter when you buy the hardware. You can buy a piece of hardware today and have drivers from 2006 running it. It all depends on how often they update the drivers for the specific hardware on the mobo.

To see the driver version go into the Device Manager. Select a item and double click on it. In the Driver tab you will see the version number and release date.

i dont think he means when the included drivers were actually created, i think he means "the newest released drivers". what i am saying is that the drivers that ship with a piece of hardware are (usually) not the most current. at least, any kind of mainstream hardware. for example, if he had a 680i mobo that was purchased brand new shrink wrap right now...it would have old drivers included with it. the p6t is brand spankin new. it has the most recent drivers (according to asus). of course if it uses realtek LAN (and it does) there are all kind of spiffed up drivers for it (none of them work right just use the asus drivers lol).

Some are not the most up to date. But some are also teh Windows Default drivers that are installed as well. While they work they are not the most up to date as well. Since the hardware drivers have to be installed by the person and people forget to install the drivers from the mobo site, they run with the default Windows drivers since they work.

While this is not a issue, those drivers are always going to have a older date on them.

This is why i dont usually pay attention to that stuff. Cause i have had Windows drivers that were newer than the ones on teh site.

do you get those drivers through updates?
i always go to asus' website for my mobo/peripheral drivers, then check peripherals manufacturers pages to see if they are newer, and to manufacturer or nvidia/amd for card drivers, which are almost always newest stable (not including beta).

Sometimes yes you can get them from Windows Update. But most of the time i have a newer version than that listed is because i am running Win7 which has newer drivers from Microsoft and the device is not support by the manufacturer for that OS yet.

Yes. It will be very dependent on what OS you are running if what i described will come up or not. Since Microsoft had to basically put together some generic drivers for many devices, or port over the Vista versions, you might have a more up to date driver on the machine that what is listed on the site.

Yeah, when I checked my lan drivers, it found realtek stuff from january, but the site had stuff listed from December. You said the realtek ones don't work though? What should I get instead?

The problems I have experienced are:
AVG can't connect to the update server
pbsetup can't connect to its server
driver detective can't connect to its server (don't know why I got this; I shouldn't have)
Unreal Tournament 3 gets error message: The online service is currently unavailable.

I have tried multiple things to get these programs to work such as turning off the windows firewall, running my router in DMZ, and uninstalling AVG. Nothing works. I've even tried running UT3 as an admin. The reason I suspect my motherboard is because, when I was browsing the epic ut3 tech support forums, I found a faq topic. It had nothing about my issue, but it did say something about people with ASUS mobos getting dced from game servers.

I have two connections as well, one is a local lan that uses powerline adapters. I generally use this for games. I also have a wireless network card in my pc for streaming and dling cause the powerline adapters are crap at it. They advertise they can stream dvd and hd quality video, but they couldn't on either of the pcs I've tried them on. They are plug and play as well, so I don't think there are drivers for them. They only get 50 kbps dl speeds when they advertise 200 mbps speeds, not dl, but speeds. Anyway, the game and these programs will not work when either connection is enabled.

The game does work on my old pc that is running xp as opposed to this one running 64 bit vista. Therefore it isn't the router. I'm assuming other people with vista 64 can get it to work, so I don't think it is that. I can't figure this out. The only dude who had this problem I found on the forums, could not get it to work with any of the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom