Big problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmyt05

Solid State Member
This morning i woke up and went over to my computer, which was left on overnight, like always. I turned on my monitor and it said "monitor going to sleep" but my computer was still running. I did a hard shut down and turned it back on only to find my monitor was still asleep. Being as i'm not really technically savvy, i unplugged everything and then back in. Pressed power and the fan ran for less than a second, then shut back off. Pressed it again and the power light stayed on, but no fan. After a few more on offs, now there is no power whatsoever. What do i need to do to fix this?

At first I was going to say possible video card or cable dead (since the monitor was working and said it was going to sleep), but now sounds like a power supply.

Replace the power supply and see if that fixes the issue. Could have been dieing and didn't have enough juice to power the video card.

Thanks for your reply. Any suggestions on where i can get a decent, low priced power supply?i know nothing about them. Are they easy to replace? If it's not the power supply, am i pretty much screwed? Any help would be great.

If it isn't the power supply, you're only screwed out of the money you spend on the new power supply. Then we'll go into other areas if it isn't the power supply.

IF you have a multimeter you can test the power leads from the power supply you have now to see if they aren't giving out the correct wattage.

I would purchase one online if you can do without the computer for about 4 days. If you are in the united states go to Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! for that purchase. If you need it sooner go to a local computer shop (NOT BEST BUY), like a mom and pop place and purhase a used power supply. This way you only spend like 20 dollars to see if the power is the issue. If you go to best buy you'll end up spending about 90 dollars for something you can get for 40 dollars online.

Its an hp pavilion a6050e AMD athlon 64 live dual core. Not sure the speed. 2 GB ram. I installed an evga video card, but don't remember which one. I believe it was numbered over 2000, if that makes any sense. I hope this is enough info.

Yep saw the same one but it is atx12v.

Features

* Hewlett-Packard Technology with Delta Electronics manufacturer
* Internal 80mm fan
* ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V
* Connect All universal connectors
* Overvoltage / Overcurrent / Short-Circuit protection
* Active PFC
Here is the list at newegg that has compatible power supplies.
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Power Supplies,Power Supplies,ATX12V,400W below,

Grab anything 350 to 400 as Lexluther recommended.

Ok, i found an atx 12v v2.2 for $40 but it was only 300W and i found an eps 12v for $60 but it was 550w. I couldn't find one 350-400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom