XP won't load after upgrading motherboard/CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboDad

Beta member
I am in the process of upgrading a P3 system to a P4 motherboard/CPU, but I am having a problem that I can't solve. When the system boots, I can see the normal POST information, and the initial (text based) windows load message, but as soon as the system tries to switch to graphics mode, the system reboots. I have tried two different motherboards, and the symptom is exactly the same.

The new motherboard I am trying to install is an ASUS P4P800 SE, with a 3.2 GHz CPU and 1 GB of RAM. I also installed a new ATX 400W power supply, and the graphics card is a fairly new (about 2 months old) ATI Radeon 9600 XT. The OS is windows XP home edition, with SP2 installed.

The CPU is running in the high 40's (celsius), and the motherboard is running about 25/26.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? At first I thought there might be an interrupt conflict between windows and one of the onboard devices, but I have disabled them all, and there is no change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try booting in safe mode to fix it."Better yet" zero down the hard drive and do a fresh install .

For what i know, after install window it will regonise the mobo, if change mobo,, i think have to reinstall window again. Sorry if any mistake.

dang.....thats the same mobo and acces. i want to get.....but im gonna build frum ground up! hope i dont hav any problems!

Boot your computer up with the winXP CD and do a repair installation. I think you press R to get to the recovery console, it should prompt you what to do at the bottom of your blue screen.

Your OS is configured with the original hardware. Every time you install a new critical piece, such as MOBO, you have to tell the OS to detect the new stuff. Do as ekAEsine said and it should do the trick. Make sure your CD-ROM boots before your HDD though by setting it in BIOS boot priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom