Guitar to PC cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

braz

Daemon Poster
I am looking for a cable that will plug my guitar into my PC. I just blew my amp I have. Idk where to look for this cable or what its called. Any help? thanks guys.

You'll need a cable that has 1/4 mono guitar plug on one end and a mono 1/8 (3.5mm) on the other. I think it's called a Computer Guitar Cable, I could be wrong. The sound won't bet great, it's better to have software so you can listen to the guitar on your computer and to record. I've tried it with my Les Paul on my friends computer, it's pretty cool.

You'll need a cable that has 1/4 mono guitar plug on one end and a mono 1/8 (3.5mm) on the other. I think it's called a Computer Guitar Cable, I could be wrong. The sound won't bet great, it's better to have software so you can listen to the guitar on your computer and to record. I've tried it with my Les Paul on my friends computer, it's pretty cool.

I'ts just called exactly what it is: 1/4" mono male to 1/8" mono male cable ;).

can you get distortion and stuff like that from programs? Any links to anything?

You can, but it will not be a great sound. Depends what your looking for really, but dont expect any amazing sounds. The line 6 amps are fairly good, but that doesnt mean that your computer will sound like one, even if you get that program. If you have any effects pedels you would be better off pluging them in first instead.

Yeh i can't see why not. You dont even need another cable, just get a 1/4 to 1/8 male>male connector from an electronics shop. Then plug a cable from your guitar into the pedel and another one into the connector and into the 'line in' port in your PC.

That pedal should sound better than any pc program written to create a distorted tone. Generally, even these days, software does not compare to good sound hardware. I have an amp rig with a 20yr old Mesa pre-amp, and it sounds much better than modern 'software' modelling amps.

If you have any questions about other guitar stuff let me know mate.

That line 6 Tone port is a load of horse dung. Get a M-Audio Fast Track pro, Supports 3prong mic cables, MIDI, 1/4 guitar jacks and RCA out ports. I use it to hook up my Shure SM57 to do mic recording on my guitar. I just mic up my amp and press record on audacity and then jam away. record it, cut out the beginnings a bit so its not a long pause and presto save it and you have a sound track, you can also layer your audio in audacity, like you record the lead and then later come back and do the rhythm, or vise versa.

When I first got my guitar, I couldn't afford an amp, so I found this thing in a music store. It was a little USB thingy with two 1/4" jacks. One was for the guitar, the other for speakers (I had to use an 1/8" - 1/4" adapter for the speakers). Then I just plugged it into a USB port and used the software that came with it. The software was setup like an amp, with knobs and settings for distortion and such.

It was like $30 or something, but I can't remember the name. Might want to look for something similar.

EDIT: Oh, and it sounded like utter CRAP compared to my amp, but yeah, I was desperate. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom