HDMI to- other connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
Ok.. I am now totally in agreement with this statement:
My room mate is totally insane, or a genius.. or both.

Ok.. don't ask me why.. because he babbled for about 20 minutes on "why" and I can't remember it all, but here goes.

Going to use a console as a helpful example, but he has other purposes for it.

Xbox360 has a HDMI port in the back, to hook a cable up HDMI to HDMI...

He wants to use that port, to convert to Component, or Composite.. or both I think... I think he wants to view all the connections and see the difference between adapters and "multiple changes" in the cable.

So basically it would be HDMI port, to say HD (R G B) cables, to an adapter of the HD to (Y R W), into a TV.

So he wants to convert the HDMI to the Red Green Blue from HD, and then change that to work into a Red Yellow White connection on the TV.

(cant remember which is component and which is composite, so I did the colours instead)

Simple line- IS IT POSSIBLE? And if so.. which parts are needed.

He MIGHT settle for the HDMI port to the Red Yellow and White cable, so he can directly plug it into his contraption thingy and see if it works.. so that might cut a few steps.

Heh.... let's try to make this simpler.

HDMI to Composite Cable

this is all freaking confusing in my head... let's try another way... mm....

Is it possible to connect a HDMI port (like on the back of a Xbox360) to the Composite (red, yellow, white) connection on a TV?

I guess so, but why would you want to? It wouldn't be in HD any more, and the 360 can already output what you want through the proprietary connection thing it has.
Also, composite is the r/g/b connection, not r/y/w (unless they're just two different kinds of composite).

There is a way to go HDMI to DVI. There is no conversion to go from HDMI to Composite (Red, Yellow and White connections) or Component (Red, green and blue connections).

He would need to buy the cables for the XBOX to use Component or Composite. Cant take a digigtal signal like HDMI and convert it to a much less quality singal like Component or Composite. At least not without piggybackign like 3 or 4 converters on top of each other.

Mak says it all. Digital signals don't mix well with composite quality signals. If he wants to use composite or component, use the AV cable included with every 360 save for the Arcade. If he wants to use HDMI, buy a cable and use that port instead.

There is no need to try and use HDMI to do the standard AV cable's job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom