Hows this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raekwon

Daemon Poster
I'm going to be building my new computer in the near future, and i want to know if there is anything that could be improved upon. I am going to overclock, which explains the CPU.

GMC H-60 ATX Case
Abit NF7-S rev2.0
AMD Athlon XP2400+mobile (35W)/Athlon XP2500+ Barton
2x256Mb DDR400 Corsair XMS
ATi Radeon 9800Pro 128Mb
WD 80Gb SATA 7200Rpm
52x32x52 LiteOn CR/RW
1.44Mb Floppy Drive

Later additions will include: (in order of priority)
Thermaltake Silent Tower HSF + Artic Silver 5 thermal compound
MS wireless Keyboard/Mouse (Elite)
WD 80Gb SATA 7200Rpm
Maxpower 400W PSU
Nvidia 6800GT 256Mb
2x120mm SilentX Case fans (the 120mm version will be available in october)
Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 Speakers Just look at the specs!!

1. Which CPU? XP2500+ (Barton) or the XP2400+Mobile.
2. Should i get faster RAM or will the DDR400 be ok for serious overclocking.
3. Anything anyone could suggest to make this system better, for the roughly the same price would be a great help :)

PS: i think i posted a shorter version of this a while ago, but i dont know what people thought of it.

get the NF7-S2G....if you go to zipzoomfly when you buy the NF7-S2 like you want to do anyway...they automatically will upgrade you to the NF7-S2G for free....here's the link to that:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240143

I would say your ram is co0 cause that board can't support past PC3200 I believe, and also I would definitely go with the 35w 2400+ XP-M....the multiplier is guaranteed to be unlocked...will run cooler...and I've seen much more extreme overclocks with that than the 2500+ XP (which yeah is also a good OC chip, but not as good as the 35w 2400 XP-M) strangely enough I plan on buying the NF7-S2G and the 35w 2400+ XP-M myself next month if I can afford it :D

Might want to get a bigger power supply. I might be paranoid but, with the fans and HDs, CD-Roms, and especially that graphics card it'll be power hungry. Although 400 should do you good. Here's a couple links to check your wattages:

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/page2.asp

thanks Nubius :D

yeah, i knew you were planning on getting the 2400+ XP-M, i read al the threads of yours asking various questions, and they answered lots of mine, and i didnt even have to post :)
What graphics card are you going to get when you have the money?

I know they mobo doesnt support over DDR400 BUT, when i overclock the ram will probably go to be about 230's+ (DDR460)
so, would it be more beneficial to go for RAM that has a higher stock speed? so the ram wont be overclocked so much - therefore less errors, or wouldnt it matter that much?

Yeah, ive seen the NF7-S2G on the Abit website. its using the Nforce 2 Ultra chipset right? and has Gigabit Lan, all the good stuff. unfortunately, Zipzoomfly is in America, (im in Australia :) ) i dont think they ship internationally. I know that newegg only ships to the U.S. and i know that Compusa, will ship to Australia, but only if you pay them a massive fee for all the "trouble" it causes. so it ends up being cheaper to buy all my stuff in Australia, which sucks, because the prices in America are heaps better than here, if only a company offered reasonable international shipping...

thanks heaps for those links, they are a great help, according to my system specs, the rough amount of power my computer ill draw is 236W (im not sure if thats perfectly accurate though, because they only have 80mm case fans and mine will have 2x120mm, so i just added 3 80mm for the calulation. I think the PSU will be ok, i like it more than other ones, because it has 1 120mm fan, instead of 2 80's. so its more quiet and gives better cooling to the PSU.

LOL my graphics card will need more power than my CPU!!

must be AMD Athlon XP Barton bcosz mobile i think is only for laptop.
Just to remind u, not every Athlon XP 2500+ can be overclock.

yeah, it was designed for laptops, but it uses the same socket, (462) AMD wasnt going to make a different socket just for laptops.

mobile i think is only for laptop.

what raekwon said..its the same socket..the mobile 2400+ XP will work in a desktop computer...it runs cooler and has great OC'ing ability...thats why its a choice CPU for OC'ing.

I think you'd still only be able to put in DDR400 memory raekwon and you can overclock it alittle or just manually set it so that the memory stays at PC3200 (which I'd recommend getting) BTW, on the power issue, always calculate more than you have just to be safe...add on stuff you don't have and that stuff to make sure you got plenty of room....you want like 75 or more extra watts...meaning if it says you only need 236 then I'd get a 350w cause I'm paranoid but a 300w should do.

About a graphics card. I think I might wait until the 6600's come out. they will be $200 and should still kick some major ass......other than that I was thinking the eVGA 128mb 6800...but the 128mb 6600 has DDR3 memory which the 128mb 6800 doesn't have and still has 8pipelines. So I think the 6600 will be the most bang for my buck. :D I always forget about some people being international ;/ not sure if zipzoomfly does or not..that sucks. Good luck on your build

thanks man, im not totally sure what graphics card to get yet, it depends on how much money i have i guess, i might end up getting a 6800GT even, that would be awesome. but by the time i scrounge the money to buy the parts for my computer, i might end up getting something completely different, like a 3500+ and DDR2 and PCI-X but, like i said it all depends when i get the money for the build. I wanna do it now! :D

yeah I usually do that too. Plan what I want next month then it turns out I buy something different :D

I believe the latest XP2500+ processors don't overclock as well as the older manufactured CPU's.

The XP Mobile would probably be the best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom