Random Power Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
What i am trying to figure out is why it will happily run in Windows Safe Mode. Even though it is a freshly formatted HD, with Win XP freshly re-installed.

These things are such an annoying trial and error process.

Another thing also, could be a faulty grounding issue? Make sure the motherboard screws are all properly mounted in the stand-offs. Make sure nothing on the mobo might be grounded to the case.

You said you are using XP right?

Go to start > Control Panel > Administration Tools > Event Viewer > System

Check for any errors that resulted just before a power off. Post results if any.

Well there were alot of DCOM errors, but they only said failed to load in safe mode. There was one error saying that C:\ had bad sectors and needed a chkdsk run. but i have run that utility and it came up ok. i cannot copy and paste the logs due to the fact im bouncing between 2 PCs.

When I spoke to support i was told it was probably a mobo issue, but i don't know if i buy that. It seems to me that if that were the case then it would randomly shut off regardless of whether or not it was in "Safe Mode". Opinions?

EDIT: I took the mobo out of the case and did a very close and detailed inspection, after this i have noted that the lovely taiwanese capacitors have...guess what? blown... thank you for the ideas/help, but i have solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom