Final pre-purchase check

Status
Not open for further replies.

karshtakavaar

Solid State Member
This is a last minute check on a system I asked about previously, but with a few changes so I was wanting to know if this will work/fit/not explode/not be useless. As before any input is greatly appreciated.

Sapphire Sapphire PCIe 2.0 HD4870 1GB Toxic Ed (note for this that I was planning on getting a second one a month or two down the track and crossfiring them. woudl this work/ be sensible?)

Intel CORE i7 920 2.66GHz 4.8GT QPI 8MB CACHE LGA1366

Samsung 1PK 1TB SATAII 3.5 32M

Corsair Corsair TR3X6G1600C9 6GB (3x XMS3 2GB) PC-12800 (1600MHz) XMSP DDR3 For X58 MB i7 Core, 3x240-pin DIMMs, Triple Kit, 9-9-9-24, 1.65V

Corsair 850W Corsair TX-850 ATX Power Supply

Antec Antec SmartCool 120mm Case Fan with Variable Speed

GlacialTech Igloo 6100 Silent Socket LGA1366 Intel CPU Cooler

Microsoft MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM 64-BIT DVD-OEM 1 PK SP1

Sony SATA, Sony AD7200S0B Black Internal DOUBLE Layer Multiformat 20x DVD±RW

Samsung 2693HM 25.5W GLOSS-BLACK 5MS SPK

eVGA eVGA X58 SLI

Where are you ordering from? Depending on where and the selection of parts, you could get DDR3 1600 ram with better timings. And a Corsair 750 would be able to handle 4870's in Crossfire.

My overclocking will be limited to about 3GHz on the processor.... and the one I chose is quite cheaper (i do have a $3000AUD budget there)

I will however look into it quite thoroughly, so thank you for your input.

.....will I need any thermal paste or anything? (never done this whole thing before) as i keep seeing thermal paste mentioned places, but I'm not sure if that's a requirement of every Computer or just really fancy ones.

Yes, thermal paste is required for all cpus and heatsinks. It's what helps seat the cpu to the heatsink and transfers the heat. Some coolers come with it already applied to the bottom of the heatsink, not sure if that Igloo cooler does though. I know the stock Intel coolers come with it applied on the bottom. You could pick some up just in case.

Thermal Grease | MegaBuy Computer Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom