Which video card is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can get the same price I'd go with the 4870 as well. There's no such thing as "preference" when your talking about something that literally just crunches numbers.

^ that is a very good card, but more expensive than a GTX 260 and it's longer than a normal 10" card

It is more expensive then both cards. It's also 11 inches long. But for $279 you get a card that beats a 280GTX across the board and it's not far behind $500 card solutions.

It's a beast.

but, I'd go with the HD 4870 at his price point.

it seems to me that ATI was a far better card due to price. But since Nvidia dropped their prices like a bad habbit you can now find GTX260 for cheaper than a 4870. I dont think there's much of a quality diff between the two that would really be noticeable.

Will you be upgrading later and adding a second card? If so, go with which ever board yours supports... x-fire or sli, (unless its a new x58 that supports both).

As for bench tests.. Ive seen them go both ways. Bottom line; either card is great.

it seems to me that ATI was a far better card due to price. But since Nvidia dropped their prices like a bad habbit you can now find GTX260 for cheaper than a 4870. I dont think there's much of a quality diff between the two that would really be noticeable.

Will you be upgrading later and adding a second card? If so, go with which ever board yours supports... x-fire or sli, (unless its a new x58 that supports both).

As for bench tests.. Ive seen them go both ways. Bottom line; either card is great.

I don't know about the price thing. I just checked, the cheapest GTX260 core 216 is under the cheapest 4870 1gig, but its made by Sparkle. Who the **** is Sparkle? XFX is at $198 and EVGA is $208.

But you are right, they are both fast cards. Either one you get you will have good performance. It comes down to the prices on the day your buying.

Folding has yet to cure anything. I doubt it ever will. The results also indirectly help cancer research. Protein folding is pretty broad.

Way to **** on that parade! Lol, I take it you didn't catch the jovial tone of that post.

Anyways, whether you're a skeptic or not, worse case scenario it can't do any harm, it's not a tough decision in my books what to do with my 260 when i'm not using it: play a small part in science research that may contribute directly or indirectly to changing lives or....do nothing. A no brainer for me.

If i wasn't into folding I'd probably go with an xfx 4870 due to their warranty....or evga 260 if I planned to use the step up to a 295 in a few months. But either card is a good buy.

Ok almost done deciding. Want to decide between two more and also see if they meet requirements.
First of all here are the parts I want to make sure will work together with the video card i will get. Please make sure they all meet each others requirements.

Mobo- Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

RAM-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

Power Supply- Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Processor- Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Monitor-http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4242642&CatId=2775

These are the two video cards to choose from...

Newegg.com - XFX GX260NADFF GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
or
Newegg.com - MSI N260GTX-T2D896-OCv2 GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom