New build...er kinda :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrothrillah

In Runtime
Ok guys this is the deal, about...err 3 maye knocking on 4 years ago I had planned on building an up to date gaming system. At the time it was fairly nice, spend about $1000 on the tower and componets.

Anywho to make a long story short I put it all together, fired it up and didn't get anything more than fans firing up and a nice light show. I just put it aside and haven't messed with it until recently because I'm in need of a computer like badly.

I am pretty sure that I bought the wrong RAM for the mobo maybe? Maybe the vid card was a dud? This is my first time to actually build a computer so any help would be greatly appreciated. I will list the specs the best I can for not being at home near them :)

Viper Case
120G Seagate HD
EVGA 7900GT
A8N32 Deluxe SLI mobo
Corsair 2G of pc3200 ram (I think)
Athlon 64X2 3200

Anyways, yeah. I've never been able to get video output out of this thing and I feel completely stupid for wasting all of that money and never putting this thing together. I have been out of the computer thing for awhile and I just want to be up and running playing up to date games as well as possible. I play WOW for the most part and want something going that will handle anything in the game.

Also, let me know how bad out of date I am here. I looked at video cards last night watching demos on like the 280 FX I think and whatnot. I know the EVGA 7900GT was an awesome card back then and now I see on ebay people selling them for like 20 bucks lol.

Thanks guys.
-Bill

Also, I forgot to mention that I have Windows XP new in box. So I don't need an OS.

I'm looking for a cheap, fast way to get this computer going.

Is it semi put together right now? Did you plug both power plugs into the motherboard and the extra power plug into the video card?

Reseat your RAM, reseat your video card. Try booting with just one stick of ram. Try the ram in different slots. Do you hear any post beeps? Make sure your front panel connection are plugged in properly most notably the power switch one.

I've placed the RAM into the appropriate channel seats (DIMMA1+DIMMB1) or whatever and nothing, tried just one stick in the DIMMB1 seat (manual says to use that slot when not pairing RAM) and nothing still. I'm going to look further into the power situation. The CPU is set on....115? I believe.

Could this be due to the fact that the ram I am using is not the right kind?

And stupid me just knocked a little cylinder type thing off my video card, I have another, way older geforce card for video I guess I can use. Good thing that card is only like 20 bucks now :)

Well I remember the code having 64 in it so I think I screwed up.
I'm pretty sure its like notebook ram or something.
And I got a beep awhile ago, then I started it again and got a two beep.

I'm about to look for the code on that and see what the deal is. I'm having another problem now with the power. It was not wanting to fire up and started shorting out on me. I'm thinking I may be having problems with my PSU. I hate to think that it's a pretty nice one like a Rosewill 1000W

Ok I found my order history. This is what all I have.

EVGA 256-P2-N565-AX GeForce 7900GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814130282

2 CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model VS1GB400C3 - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145505 $133.00
($66.50 ea)

1 AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2.0GHz Socket 939 Dual-Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail
Item #: N82E16819103562

Rosewill RP550 550W ATX V1.3/ EPS12V Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817182010

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120827AS 120GB 7200 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822148039

Yeah I mean it fires up, HD starts doing it's thing (it's actually very quiet I had to listen closely to hear it) and everything SEEMS like it should be right.

My CPU is set on 115 and I have everything plugged in right as far I know.

Don't slap me if this is a stupid question, but do I need the molex plugged into the HD? Cause I looked for it earlier and didn't see it. I have the power and SATA cables hooked up.

I can't keep up with this new technology now. I'm more of a ribbons guy.

SATA drives use a SATA plug, not a molex. Here's a pic of an adapter so you can see what the end of it looks like...

SATA_power_cable.jpg

Your PSU has SATA ends on it:

17-182-010-10.jpg

It was longer than 24 hours so it is OK, Ryan. Under 24 hours should be edited into the earlier post as 24 hours is the time window for editing posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom