Hi... CPU questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case you didn't know your need a 64bit OS to take full advantage of 4GB or more of ram. If you have 32bit XP you won't get to use all of it. You would have something like 3GB - 3.5GB or something like that.

Wait guys. We are recommending he buys a pentium dual core. According to him he already has one. Let's make sure of what he's got before we recommend something else. He says hes got a pentium dual core 3.0 ghz, in which case would be a pretty nice cpu.

If so, grab like 2-4 gigs of I assume pc6400 ram, maybe a new psu, and you have a nice cheap build.

Edit: You said you are for sure going to get the e8400. Just take a minute and make sure you don't have a pentium d x2 at 3.0 ghz, because if so I don't think the money you are going to spend would be worth the not so huge improvement.

^^ Pentium D's and Pentium Dual Cores are completely different. A Pentium D is 2 p4's stuck together to make a dual core and isn't very good. A Pentium Dual Core is a Core 2 Duo with less cache and is good.

Also the highest clocked Pentium Dual core is the e5400 at 2.7ghz so his cpu has to be a Pentium D.

Ahh okay. I guess I'm out of the loop as far as pentium goes. I just thought they made one pentium dual core. Scratch that thought then! last intel i had was a p4, and my god did that thing get hot, and my god was it soo slow.

Just in case you didn't know your need a 64bit OS to take full advantage of 4GB or more of ram. If you have 32bit XP you won't get to use all of it. You would have something like 3GB - 3.5GB or something like that.

Yeah, man, I'm still contemplating whether to bump it up to 3gigs or 4gigs. What would be the major difference between the two? (no oc'ing)

Here 's my setup again:

e8400 3.0ghz
512 8800gts
Gigabyte GA-965P
500gb
4gb or 3gb ram...
OS, still not sure... preferably a 64x OS, which would be..?

On a side note, what is so great about Vista anyway? I don't know the cons/complications it comes with. :rolleyes:

Wait guys. We are recommending he buys a pentium dual core. According to him he already has one. Let's make sure of what he's got before we recommend something else. He says hes got a pentium dual core 3.0 ghz, in which case would be a pretty nice cpu.

If so, grab like 2-4 gigs of I assume pc6400 ram, maybe a new psu, and you have a nice cheap build.

Edit: You said you are for sure going to get the e8400. Just take a minute and make sure you don't have a pentium d x2 at 3.0 ghz, because if so I don't think the money you are going to spend would be worth the not so huge improvement.

This:

Name: Intel Pentium D processor 3.0ghz x 2
Processor Type: Intel Pentium D
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Processor Configuration: Dual Core

personally, I really love the e8400, and for the $370 I bought it for, it saves me some room for the tight budget I'm residing on.

sorry, didn't mean to double post there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom