Completely new to building a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainsoup

Solid State Member
I need a new computer for modern games as the one I'm using can barely play WoW on the lowest settings.

I've never built a computer at all; the most I've done is put in some RAM but I have heard that building one is cheaper and better. I have a budget of $800-950 for the whole computer as i don't have any keyboards, mouse, monitors, or an OS and I can't use parts from this computer as I use it for other things.

I've tried researching parts but i just get confused from all the hundreds of parts with names 40 letters long. I don't care for high settings on games unless its possible but I don't want to sacrifice price for maximum settings.

Can anyone help me?

$900 is quite a good budget for a PC.
You could even get an i7, though that might be overkill for you. Someone here can probably do you a quick build in NewEgg.

Do you need speakers too? What else do you use the computer for?

CPU - You're probably looking at an Intel E8400.
GPU - nVidia GTS250, or ATI 4850. Something in that range, anyway (NewEgg has an $80 XFX GTS250)
Mobo -
Case - Something like Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases should be good for you.
ODD - Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners
HDD - Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Power supply - Corsair VX450 if you don't plan to upgrade the video card much, Corsair TX750 if you do (or plan on adding another).
RAM - Corsair 2x1GB, or 2x2GB if you want.
OS - 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium
Keyboard & Mouse - If you already have a computer, can't you use the ones from that?
Monitor - Same goes for monitor? Though a decent 1080p monitor like this would suit you well, might be a bit above your price range though ($200) Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2233SW High Glossy Black 21.5" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 15000:1(1000:1) w/ HDCP Support - LCD Monitors

I'm not too used to NewEgg so I'll just give you advice on a motherboard - able to do SLI if you get a nVidia video card, or CrossFire if you get an ATI video card. Socket 775. At least 8GB RAM max. 4+ SATA ports. Respectable brand such as ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, Foxconn.

I haven't included prices, as they are just stuff that would be in your region.

Gt's build is really good - wouldn't the GTS250 I mentioned do better, though? I mean, for the price, $80 vs $150.

I'd say they're roughly the same performance. But with the Phenom II 940 & 4850 combo deal, it knocks off $40. So, it's pretty much like getting the 4850 for $105 with $15 mail in rebate on top. There are other combos with that cpu as well, others being 4830 and 4870. Just more options if he would want less graphics power or more graphics power.

Oh, and the 250 you listed is $130, not $80.

Do you need speakers too? What else do you use the computer for?

Keyboard & Mouse - If you already have a computer, can't you use the ones from that?
Monitor - Same goes for monitor?

I don't need speakers, I'll mainly be using it for games and internet and I'm using the keyboard , mouse, and monitor for this computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom