Why would I receive lots of "Not Responding" messages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Hi!

I just finished building the following system today:

Thermaltake M9 case
Q9550 Processor
Corsair XMS DDR2 800 8 GB
Thermaltake 600 W PSU
Windows Ultimate 64-bit
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Western Digital 640 GB 32 Cache
Sea Gate 1.5 TB SATA HD
Lian-Li Bezel Thermometer Gauge
ZeroTherm Zen FZ1205
Nvidia GeForce 8600GTS

This is the very first time I have ever used Vista Ultimate 64 bit. My last three builds with Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit were flawless and to be honest with you, I never received a "Not Responding" message even once in a 6 month period.

Can anyone tell me what I may have done wrong? Why would I receive 4 "Not Responding" messages the very first day and never on the 32 bit version?

Note: I have installed all the updates today too.

I did use a legit copy of Vista Ultimate Upgrade 64 bit using a clean install.

Please help me if you can.

Thanks,

Soar

perhaps there is a program conflict...wouldn't be such a stretch since some programs have problems running with a 64 bit operating system. Try eliminating some background programs and see if you get anymore. What were you doing when you got them?

perhaps there is a program conflict...wouldn't be such a stretch since some programs have problems running with a 64 bit operating system. Try eliminating some background programs and see if you get anymore. What were you doing when you got them?

Luke,

Thanks for the reply. I have had the "Not Responding" message when trying to use programs within control panel, when using simple programs, etc.

This never occurred even once when using 32 bit. I am wondering if my OS install went sour somewhere along the way.

Have you any ideas?

Soar

I have had the "Not Responding" message when trying to use programs within control panel, when using simple programs, etc.

Is it limited to just several, or does it effect them all?

I'm assuming when you said up dates that you Have installed SP1?

Try shutting down everything that is not needed, then see if you get any. If they stop, then you know it is something you shut down and you can do a trial and error method to find the culprit.

Is it limited to just several, or does it effect them all?

I'm assuming when you said up dates that you Have installed SP1?

Try shutting down everything that is not needed, then see if you get any. If they stop, then you know it is something you shut down and you can do a trial and error method to find the culprit.

Luke,

Thanks for the good advice. Ok, I will try that. I have not used this new build enough to discover if it is across the board.

Yes, it came with SP1.

Thanks,

Soar

HAve you given the PC sufficent time to do the task before clicking on the Window again and again?

It is only when you multi click a window that is "Stuck" or "Hung" that you will see the message you describe in Vista. So that tells me you are clicking on these items rather quickly and maybe not giving it time to work.

It is not going to be instant. Even with a 64 Bit PSU and 8GB of RAM. You still have to let it work and load.

Yes. Things like the Control Panel have much information to load. Along with most Windows system related options like the Add/Remove Programs. They have to search the system and then they load the options or whatever depending on the window you are trying to access.

So you still have to give it time.

HAve you given the PC sufficent time to do the task before clicking on the Window again and again?

It is only when you multi click a window that is "Stuck" or "Hung" that you will see the message you describe in Vista. So that tells me you are clicking on these items rather quickly and maybe not giving it time to work.

It is not going to be instant. Even with a 64 Bit PSU and 8GB of RAM. You still have to let it work and load.

HI again Mak!

Well, that must have been the problem because now the "Not Responding" messages have completely ceased.

Thanks again for helping me understand the problem!

Soar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom