GPU Messing up Monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marblez

In Runtime
Hey all, my friend called me with a computer problem this morning, and I think I diagnosed the problem okay. Still, it be nice to have those smarter than me give their opinion. So, whenever the computer turned on there would be many vivid, vertical lines clogging the screen. It was impossible to see anything clearly, but some things could still be made out (like the loading bar, so the OS was still booting up right. Screens while actually booting up weren't as obscured as the Windows ones). I brought in a different monitor (that used a DVI connection instead of his HDMI as well), and the problem persisted. After a thorough dusting and no results, I said it was a video card problem. Also, the menu that comes up for adjusting monitor settings was clear if that means anything, but I just took that as meaning that it's not a monitor issue. Another note: the computer was really dusty, and the house was hot, so maybe the GPU was damaged by heat.

His computer is an HP media center. Can't remember the exact model but it had:
AMD Phenom Quad, whichever one is clocked at 2.2 GHz
5 GB RAM
640 GB HDD
Nvidia 8400 256MB

Thanks in advance for any help.

gpu issue, try and rma through hp as that's a rather new computer. hopefully it's still under the 1 year warrenty.

The motherboard wouldn't happen to have "onboard" video also would it? If so try it.

If not. Obviously trying another videocard would be a good step.

IMO there is a GPU issue. Is there any thing else he can hook up to the screen using them ports just to rule something in the screen out?

Can't. Impossible to navigate after getting to the Windoze desktop. Thanks for the help everyone; I'll be back if a replacement GPU doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom