Shout Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
so it's a little separate message box that stays on your page regardless of where you are in the forum?

As long as it's not too big I think it could be a fun idea.

Thats exactly right. Most forums i used to go on had one and they worked out pretty well.

Aint gonna happen. The Moderation of it would be almost impossible. To keep it clean, free from spammers and under the rules. It has been discussed many times. The Moderation of it to be controlled for all 24 hours in the day no matter where you are is impossible.

I have to agree with Mak on this one. While I like shout boxes and use them on some sites, it is a spammer's dream. A single shout can be see by any browsing the site and not just those who open a thread or post.

Well not to mention we barely have coverage for the forums all 24 hours. I mean how long do some threads sit before someone stops by to take care of it? A hour or more? So to have a shout sit up there or to have someone be able to jsut constantly shout Spam till someone moderates it isnt easy.

Also before it is brought up yes i know of the ways to make it so that only Members with 40 or more posts could use it that way the Spammers couldnt have access. But that still doesnt stop the swearing since we would have to have live monitoring of it to prevent that along side of the filters that can be in place, live monitoring for other rules that can be broken along with live monitoring for content.

While i think that Shout Boxes are a good idea, a site this size that has to have constant moderation it just isnt possible. We have had spam threads sit for hours before someone could get to it. Let alone a fight breaking out in the shout box when no one is around.

Just to many factors.

i agree with mak on this. But i was thinking. Could you not put a post limit of like 2000 for then only the more established members could use it, then there would not be as many fights/swearing/ect. Also you could ban some one from it if they broke the rules, or a temporary ban, then a full ban. That way people would be less likely to swear ect. Although it would probably be more work then it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom