A bit of advice needed...HURRY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could get a PC power & cooling power supply, if that would make you feel better....they are top of the line.

I really believe building your own you are gonna get better quality parts.....you pick out the brand you want......could make a killer rig for that price.

I can't believe you'd actually get another Dell computer after having trouble overclocking your current one

Q9550 could go much higher than 2.8
gaming wise GPU is the most important factor, build your own and you can get a GTX 200 series, much better than 9800GT

You could get a PC power & cooling power supply, if that would make you feel better....they are top of the line.

I really believe building your own you are gonna get better quality parts.....you pick out the brand you want......could make a killer rig for that price.

As are Corsair PSU's ;). Rican can vouge on this one.

And agreed with the others; build your own; its cheaper and you actually h ave MORE of a warranty on your computer (because each part is warrantied separately; and usually have at least 1 or 2 year warranty; some parts with lifetime warranties).

Can I ask why on earth you want an i7 965? You obviously aren't an extreme overclocker (I know this because you bought a dell and are considering buying another one) which is the whole point of the i7 965. I promise you won't notice any difference between a 920 and a 965. I have my 920 OC'ed to 3.9 daily and I can push it to 4.2 or higher on benchmark runs and I bet it would outperform your 965 because you wouldn't push it hard enough. Then that would mean I got more performance than you for like $1000 less.

Build your own with the parts hefemeister suggested. What resolution do you play at? I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you aren't gaming on a 30" so you don't need tri-sli gtx285's. That would be a complete waste. You probably wouldn't even OC your cpu far enough to really be able to utilize that much GPU power.

I can't believe you'd actually get another Dell computer after having trouble overclocking your current one

I have no trouble overclocking the one I have now. I'm just new at overclocking and haven't a clue of how much to adjust what.

Q9550 could go much higher than 2.8
gaming wise GPU is the most important factor, build your own and you can get a GTX 200 series, much better than 9800GT

Yes, I know the Q9550 can go much higher than 2.8ghz. As far as GPU, I have (2) XFX GTX285 Black Edition cards. I don't have the 9800GT. lol

Can I ask why on earth you want an i7 965? You obviously aren't an extreme overclocker. (I know this because you bought a dell and are considering buying another one).

Yes, you are correct. I'm not an extreme overclocker. However, this Dell will overclock just as well as any nForce 790i you'd purchase elsewhere because the bios is unlocked and hasn't been tampered with by Dell. I'm certain the i7 920 would suit me just fine and if I wanted to upgrade, the 940 would do just as well.

What resolution do you play at? I'm gonna go ahead and guess that you aren't gaming on a 30" so you don't need tri-sli gtx285's. That would be a complete waste. You probably wouldn't even OC your cpu far enough to really be able to utilize that much GPU power.

I play @ 1920x1200 on a 24". I thought about upgrading to a 30" in the near future but, I'm not sure as to when.

It doesn't appear you want to listen to any of these guys's help. They are trying to save you a ton of money. watts aren't even the most important thing on a psu, it's the amps, and the 850 watt corsair he posted has plenty. Why have 3 tri-sli cards? by the time they got cheap enough to get three, I'm sure something better would be out in 1 card.

Just because the bios is unlocked in the dell, doesn't mean it overclocks well, which I'm sure it doesn't. My guess is it'd be unstable, as most companies pick out crap motherboards from what I've seen anyways.

Listen to what these guys tell you, you'll get better performance and save hundreds.

Yes, you are correct. I'm not an extreme overclocker. However, this Dell will overclock just as well as any nForce 790i you'd purchase elsewhere because the bios is unlocked and hasn't been tampered with by Dell. I'm certain the i7 920 would suit me just fine and if I wanted to upgrade, the 940 would do just as well.

The 790i isn't a good overclocker, the only one I consider decent is the evga 790i FTW but there are still plenty of cheaper boards that overclock better.

Upgrading form the i7 920 to a 940 would be pointless and a massive waste of money, the 920 could very easily be overclocked to the 940's stock speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom