computer not powering up

Status
Not open for further replies.

powderny

Solid State Member
Ok i have a question i hope someone can help me with. I have a fairly new computer, maybe about a year or so. It is a pentium 4. I went to turn it on (monitor had the yellow light showing power but not connected to anything) and i can see the lights flash for a split second but nothing...no power, no life. I opened it up and try the power button and I can see the fans start to spin up then stop. Immediately i thought it was the power supply, which is still odd but whatever. I try another power supply and still nothing. I plug the original power supply into another computer and it powers up fine so i know it is not a power supply issue. There has been no hardware changed on the machine so it is not a wiring issue. Any idea what might be the problem before i tear it apart and check it piece by piece. I am thinking bad memory or a bad motherboard power connector but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

sometimes the power swith is damaged
I would take all unnesesary parts out: second HD, second RAM-stick, PCI cards...only leaving your first HD, at least one ram stick and the cpu and graphics card

I just tried it today and discovered i can't turn it on. I also notice that if power goes out in the house, the pc stays off where as my pc will turn back on right away. Also the power supply has its own little power button. It is not my computer it is my fathers so I am not sure of the full specs. I know it is a pentium 4 i think 2 ghz but maybe less but not sure of the rest. might be 256 MB RAM, has 1 hd, onboard video and sound, win xp home

When I put together a new comp it did the same thing.It was a loose ram stick.Also check your vid card if you have one.Sounds like something is loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom