AGP or PCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

schlits23235

Beta member
I am trying to install a new video card on my computer and I am not sure if i have a AGP or PCI port. What is the easiest way to figure out what sort of port i have? I think it is also possible that my video card may be intergrated into my motherboard. Any help would be great

Ok, on your mobo (motherboard), there are 2-6 (depending on your mobo) of these 2-2.5 inch white slots. Those are your PCI slots. stuff like tv, sound, modem cards go there. Then, at the end of the rows of PCI slots, there is a dark brown slot that is fixed a little further into the mobo, it's right next to the last PCI slot (not on the edge of the mobo; the interior). That is the AGP slot. In case you don't know what it means (which I'm sure you do): Accelerated Graphics Port. Just by the name, one can tell that the video card goes there.

This explanation is what I'm assuming your asking.

If you are asking if the video card itself is an AGP or PCI, then it should say on the box, or in the instructions. Seeing as it's a new card, then it's probably gonna be AGP, although there is the occasional card that is a PCI slot card (kinda stupid, 'cause there is a completely seperate slot for it, so y put it in a PCI slot?)

Well, my AGP slot is black compared to the blue PCI slots..... There is only one AGP slot on most mobos.......
And the AGP slot is deeper into the case than the PCI slots aswell:confused:

Hope it helps:p

AGP

The brown slot:

agp_slot.jpg

a PCI card will have contacts like this
||||||||||||||||||||||

an AGP card will have contacts somewhat like this
| | | | | | | | | | | |
| | | | | | | | | | |

the agp slot is ferther away from the side than the pci, and there is only 1 agp, and multiple pci. If ur gfx card is agp, it will only fit in 1 slaot, the agp.

i personally think agp slut is better than pci slut
waste of a post.....there is no 'personally' about it...AGP is faster....period...not a personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom